Wow how much these Silicone's look alike! !!

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Denise O

Re: Wow how much these Silicone's look alike! !!

Post by Denise O »

There are lots of dolls in vinyl and silicone out right now that look like or resemble other artists sculpts. I'm not sure why these particular babies have been choosen. Claire sculpted Janika a while ago and Joanna sculpted Cassie three or 4 babies back. I have had 2 different Cassie's in my collection.and both looked different and they were the same sculpt. While I agree they have similarities... I personally think they look completely different in person. Especially from the pictures Dana shared. Janika has a much rounder face than Cassie. I have several a anatomy reference charts that sculptors use to sculpt proper proportions with. Perhaps that is why the eye and mouth positions are similar. Whatever the reason... I think they are both beautiful and different.
Tanda

Post by Tanda »

There will always be dolls similar to one another since they all have the same features. Must also be in the eye of the beholder because I see more difference than similarity between Janika and Cassie. Hugs, Tanda
lolaandlilly

Post by lolaandlilly »

Non identical twins maybe
dana

Post by dana »

AnneXmedici wrote::dunno: ould the artists have used the same kind of head armature? It could explain why the nose and eye placements are identical. It is the only scenario I can come with that may explain.
Anne, Claire didn't use an armature on Janika she was a portrait baby....Sal gave Claire specific measurements for Janika. Claire uses aluminum foil not armatures.

AnneXmedici

Post by AnneXmedici »

I understand, Dana. Do you know if she makes those herself? I know that among others Petras dolls in Germany used to sell "readymade aluminium armature for heads, arms and legs. It is why I speculate that if two artist use the same armature, the measurements of the babyfeatures would be close or the same.

Mind you, although the sculpts are very similar, I never thought to compare until I saw the photos. Claire's babies are very recognizeable with a distinct headshape. Joanna's sculpts, although a more recent sculptor, the same.
So perhaps, like Tand says: a baby, is a baby, is a baby :lol:

They are two beauties, though, that's for sure
dana

Post by dana »

AnneXmedici wrote:I understand, Dana. Do you know if she makes those herself? I know that among others Petras dolls in Germany used to sell "readymade aluminium armature for heads, arms and legs. It is why I speculate that if two artist use the same armature, the measurements of the babyfeatures would be close or the same.

Mind you, although the sculpts are very similar, I never thought to compare until I saw the photos. Claire's babies are very recognizeable with a distinct headshape. Joanna's sculpts, although a more recent sculptor, the same.
So perhaps, like Tand says: a baby, is a baby, is a baby :lol:

They are two beauties, though, that's for sure
I ask Claire and she said she made the armature from aluminum foil herself no pre-made armature ... I know they do not look exactly the same but looking at the picture overlay on the 1st post the eyes meet up exactly so does the mouth ....... the nose is a little different in size BUT it is in the exact same spot.... yes the face is bigger BUT everything around the eyes and mouth fit ..just a little more clay added around the outside of these areas

waterwaybabies

Post by waterwaybabies »

i think its a case of the "mood" of the babies being similar?
both lovely though.x
siliconen wil

Post by siliconen wil »

hello

they are beautyfull but not look alike

hugs wil
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Many people seem to want to say they are different and yet to me they are more the same in many ways. Artists have certain looks to their dolls and both of these babies just say "Claire Taylor" . I would suggest that a 3-D printer may have been used on Claire's Janika and the result was the other doll. They are just too much alike. Painting etc would make them somewhat different --- the the basic features are the same in looks and placement. I have never seen either doll in person. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
frannie

Post by frannie »

cookielover wrote:Many people seem to want to say they are different and yet to me they are more the same in many ways. Artists have certain looks to their dolls and both of these babies just say "Claire Taylor" . I would suggest that a 3-D printer may have been used on Claire's Janika and the result was the other doll. They are just too much alike. Painting etc would make them somewhat different --- the the basic features are the same in looks and placement. I have never seen either doll in person. JMO Ruth
Ruth, I would be careful saying something like that. I have seen artists reputations destroyed with acusations like these. I can already see the witch hunt starting here and don't think it's justfied at all inthis case. I can clearly see Joanna 's typical mouth/ chin features in Cassie and the eyes might be placed in the same spot but they are totally different. So is the general head shape. So PLEASE refrain from saying Joanna copied Claires work unless you have solid proof!

Thank you and hugs,
Frannie
:heart: Bray :heart:
Marina Blue

Post by Marina Blue »

I see a huge difference between them 2... I own Cassie and have never seen Janika live but from the pictures I see totally different baby...And if the overlay pictures fit it only means that both artists kept the proportions right. I love both artist's work - both are talented but VERY different!
Hugs,
Marina

Post by LHargreaves »

They look nothing alike to me...JOanna's babies are distinct...cassie and lilly are are very similar in style and that is Joanna's style ...... Cassie I believe was sculpted from a portrait. I remember her sharing progress pics with me. I bought bougt cassie and lilly from Joanna.
LHargreaves

Post by LHargreaves »

cookielover wrote:Many people seem to want to say they are different and yet to me they are more the same in many ways. Artists have certain looks to their dolls and both of these babies just say "Claire Taylor" . I would suggest that a 3-D printer may have been used on Claire's Janika and the result was the other doll. They are just too much alike. Painting etc would make them somewhat different --- the the basic features are the same in looks and placement. I have never seen either doll in person. JMO Ruth

OMG that is not cool! WHy would you say that! These dolls hav different shaped faces, different noses and certainly different mouths...... JOanna is an amazing sculptor she shares sculpting progress pics with her customer base.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Well, Michelle Fagan's reputation has been stomped on, now its Andrea Arcello and JoAnna K, reminds me of the Salem witch hunt. But apparently we should gloss over Tina Kewy's misdeeds because we don't want to hurt people's feeling because they choose to support her. I am so sick and disgusted with some people on DollFan and some of them know damn good and well of Tina's reputation they have been members of DF for years longer than I have been a member.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

frannie wrote:
Ruth, I would be careful saying something like that. I have seen artists reputations destroyed with acusations like these. I can already see the witch hunt starting here and don't think it's justfied at all inthis case. I can clearly see Joanna 's typical mouth/ chin features in Cassie and the eyes might be placed in the same spot but they are totally different. So is the general head shape. So PLEASE refrain from saying Joanna copied Claires work unless you have solid proof!

Thank you and hugs,
Frannie

I didn't start this thread. I did not make any accusations concerning anyone. I did not bring up the similarities between the two babies. I did not do the overlay of the faces. I simply stated my opinion....my opinion on the possibility ---note the word MAY --- I did not state anything but my own opinion. I should be allowed that even you do not agree with my opinion. I didn't say it was a certainty but that it was JUST MY OPINION or a possibility of an answer. Others also have stated possible reasons for the similarities and given their opinions. I am certainly not so powerful to start a "witch hunt" about anyone.... but I do have the right to have an opinion and to be able to state it. Why tell me to "be careful saying something like that" -- when you feel so very comfortable giving your opinion on me and what I said. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Denise O

Post by Denise O »

I knew I had the original photos of Joannas inspiration for Cassie... it just took me some time to dig through my messages to find it. Although why I am wasting time away from my family and friends on Thanksgiving for this ridiculous post is beyond me.... but here it is. I can't believe people would stoop to such a low to insinuate and even accuse her of making a copy of Janika. Joanna, as I said before is an amazing artist. I feel like if Claire has a issue with Joanna... then perhaps she should discuss it with Joanna. Otherwise its all just speculation and a waste of time. Both are highly talented and professional artists. I am sure if either has an issue they could and should handle it among themselves and not THROUGH OTHERS. That just looks bad and in my opinion... speaks volumes.

Edited to add second photo collage that didn't make it in initial posting.
Last edited by Denise O on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denise O

Post by Denise O »

Actually you didn't say it was your opinion... you said " I would suggest ".
cookielover wrote:
frannie wrote:

Thank you and hugs,
Frannie

I didn't start this thread. I did not make any accusations concerning anyone. I did not bring up the similarities between the two babies. I did not do the overlay of the faces. I simply stated my opinion....my opinion on the possibility ---note the word MAY --- I did not state anything but my own opinion. I should be allowed that even you do not agree with my opinion. I didn't say it was a certainty but that it was JUST MY OPINION or a possibility of an answer. Others also have stated possible reasons for the similarities and given their opinions. I am certainly not so powerful to start a "witch hunt" about anyone.... but I do have the right to have an opinion and to be able to state it. Why tell me to "be careful saying something like that" -- when you feel so very comfortable giving your opinion on me and what I said. JMO Ruth
Marina Blue

Post by Marina Blue »

I completely agree with Denise I knew that Cassie was sculpted from the pictures and has nothing to do with Janika. They DON'T look alike...ladies....Be honest....
Hugs,
Marina
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Denise O wrote:Actually you didn't say it was your opinion... you said " I would suggest ".

And just what does JMO mean?

[/quote]
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Denise O wrote:I knew I had the original photos of Joannas inspiration for Cassie... it just took me some time to dig through my messages to find it. Although why I am wasting time away from my family and friends on Thanksgiving for this ridiculous post is beyond me.... but here it is. I can't believe people would stoop to such a low to insinuate and even accuse her of making a copy of Janika. Joanna, as I said before is an amazing artist. I feel like if Claire has a issue with Joanna... then perhaps she should discuss it with Joanna. Otherwise its all just speculation and a waste of time. Both are highly talented and professional artists. I am sure if either has an issue they could and should handle it among themselves and not THROUGH OTHERS. That just looks bad and in my opinion... speaks volumes.

Edited to add second photo collage that didn't make it in initial posting.

I think this post is simply out of hand..... why would you think that this post with people's opinions says the above quote about Claire having issue with Joanna? I assumed, wrongly at the beginning of this post, that other members were open minded enough to discuss the original post about the similarities between the two dolls as just by chance or purposeful. Only by examining ALL the opinions, pictures etc can the reader come to their own conclusion. Instead of an open minded discussion of possibilities -- it has turned into something unkind to other DF members who are seen as attacking the original artistS ---- why---it really makes no sense to me. JMO :dunno: Ruth