• Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

Softer silicone babies

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.

Re: Softer silicone babies

Postby cookielover » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:15 am

alienor wrote:
not so sure I would like their parts in the softer silicone

do you mean you don't like "full silicone body" in this new soft silicone ?

No Alienor not at all.... I really like the full silicone body..... but wonder how it will work in a larger doll than Hannah. The "feel" of the softer silicone will still be there.... but will the bigger full silicone doll feel "right".... dense enough?

It is interesting that Lorna has put an armature in her doll so it can be posed. I think it might also give some "body" to the softer silicone in the bigger doll.... will be interesting to hear about the differences. Diana.... Jordan sure came fast... put some pictures up and tell us how he is to hold and dress. Ruth

William has some colorful new wheels!
cookielover

Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

Postby alienor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:20 am

oh fine :) I'm also thinking about a 22" full silicone baby :D
alienor

Postby cookielover » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:24 am

dollhntrjudy wrote:Alienor, I can't speak to exactly what Ruth is saying but I think she means that the soft silicone hands can't "hold" a toy etc. like the Dragon skin silicone. The soft silicone is very flexible. Also, if larger full bodied silicones are produced in the future they would be quite heavy because the body (being silicone) is heavy. Probably, artists will figure a way to make a bigger full body silicones lighter. Right now, the 18" Hannah I am waiting for is about 7lb. Anyway, the full silicone is a new experience to doll making. If anyone goes to doll shows, try holding one and you will see how different it feels. Some of us love it but it might not be for everyone's taste. :dunno:

Yes, Carol the full silicone is a new experience for sure. Little Hannah is only about the size of a small newborn.... and weighs in at over 7 pounds which seems little heavy for her size.... but when you hold her one doesn't notice the weigh as being perhaps a little heavy for her size compared to a real baby. Some of the bigger ones now being produce weigh in the same general area of 7 pounds... will be interesting to watch the development of this new silicone. I also just wanted to say that the older silicone has an appeal also.... just as OOAKs, reborns, Ball jointed, and finished artist dolls all have people who really enjoy them.

William has some colorful new wheels!
cookielover

Postby Melissas Babies » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:54 am

I have been making the full body silicones for 7 years. The only thing new is the softer silicone. and I have full body toddlers that are not heavy. max weight 10 lbs. Hollow cast is not new to me .

Sillie Babies are the Best!!!
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
Melissas Babies

Postby dollhntrjudy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for your addition to the conversation! Your toddlers are so cute! If I collected toddlers, I would love one of yours. Everyone, take a look at Melissa's gallery. I have followed your babies for years!
dollhntrjudy

Postby Joyce » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I think Melissa's hollow cast silicones are the greatest thing since sliced bread!! You get a full body solid silicone doll that you can actually carry around with you. I don't know why more artists don't hollow out at least the heavy silicone heads.
Joyce

Postby Kimiko_binglesbanglesbabies » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm lovin' all this information ladies, keep it comin'! I've been wanting a silicone for what seems like FOREVER, I've had to put if off temporarily but I'm saving every penny I can :lol:
Kimiko_binglesbanglesbabies

Postby Meg » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:54 am

I waste hours and hours fawning over Melissa's albums...SOOO many of them I want to own!! Gorgeous.
Meg

Postby Shawndamom3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 am

Joyce wrote:I think Melissa's hollow cast silicones are the greatest thing since sliced bread!! You get a full body solid silicone doll that you can actually carry around with you. I don't know why more artists don't hollow out at least the heavy silicone heads.

I wonder the same thing. A super heavy head on a larger sili baby is a turn off for me and one of the reasons I don't purchase them. Not only are they uncomfortable to hold and carry around but their heads eventually sink down into their bodies and they look distorted when sitting up.
I love the idea of full body babies and have a 12 inch one on layaway, she is regular silicone though which is fine by me :wink:
Shawndamom3

Postby Melissas Babies » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:15 am

One of the reasons I went hollow cast on the toddlers because of the heavy heads! I don't like then=m to sink and they were too heavy!
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
Melissas Babies

Postby dollhntrjudy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I have had a couple of silicones that I bought several years ago that I never hold (or held then) because their heads were as heavy as bowling balls!!! I haven't really thought of them for years but I know exactly what you mean, Shawnda! I didn't buy silicones for quite some time because the heads were so uncomfortable for me to hold. I don't know what the difference is but Claire Taylor's Zoe is a solid silicone on a cloth body and yet she is so realistic and comfortable to hold.
dollhntrjudy

Postby EmilyLauren » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Here are my twins Kate and Klaire. They are poured in soft silicone! Their editions are still open. If anyone is interested, just send me a PM!

:heart: Sawyer reborned by Tanisha Crockett :heart:
Kits are available to order at:

http://www.babiesbyemily.com/
http://www.facebook.com/babiesbyemily
EmilyLauren

Postby pam580 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Your babies are sweet ! What do you think of the new softer silicone ? Can you tell a lot of difference ? How long are your babies and how much do they weigh ?
Thanks ,
Love & hugs ,
Amelia
pam580

Postby DonnaB » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Do they have the full sculpted bodies on them? They are fantastic.
d
DonnaB

Postby Elisabettas Babies » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I think my Payton by Tasha was poured in the softer silicone back in the times... she is far softer and squishier than my other silicones. Also, she has a sweet faint baby smell mixed with the silicone... no wonder she's always my favorite!

Melissa, why don't you post pics of Nani and Anthony? They are so adorable!!! I was also looking at the 6" full body minis in your gallery, for $85... those would be a great hit poured in the softer silicone! (Can you tell I'm into minis hands and feet recently?) ;)
Elisabettas Babies

Postby pam580 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:59 am

I haven't held or even seen the softer silicone but it seems like to me that the smaller babies , newborn and preemies would be better suited for the softer silicone . Wouldn't the larger ones have a hard time holding upright ? As I said , I haven't even seen them but I think for cuddling and holding , the little babies would be best . Anyone ? I just love what I have seen so far in pictures . :heart:
Love & hugs,
Amelia
pam580

Postby EmilyLauren » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 am

pam580 wrote:Your babies are sweet ! What do you think of the new softer silicone ? Can you tell a lot of difference ? How long are your babies and how much do they weigh ?
Thanks ,
Love & hugs ,
Amelia

Thank you Amelia! I really like the soft silicone! I did have one poured in regular Dragon Skin, but that one feels so STIFF compared to these! These move so realistically because the silicone jiggles/bounces when you pick them up! The babies are small newborns at 18.5" and they weigh about 5lbs each (they don't feel too heavy to hold like alot of other silicones I've held).

Donna, they have cloth bodies. I would think the fully sculpted bodies would make a baby feel too stiff? They are available as kits as well!
:heart: Sawyer reborned by Tanisha Crockett :heart:
Kits are available to order at:

http://www.babiesbyemily.com/
http://www.facebook.com/babiesbyemily
EmilyLauren

Postby Hanni » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 am

I also poured my first silicone baby, no fullbody, but head and limbs. I am just thinking about making a fullbody silicone baby.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy the soft silicone? I only know the dragon skin, but would like to try the soft silicone. Thanks for your help!
Hanni

Postby Rhonda W » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:54 pm

I like the full babies but I like my older silicone's as well. The full silicone's can only lay down and only Lorna's can be posed which I love, but the cloth babies have more pose ability. I'm also very concerned about the longevity of the new soft silicone, as there seems to be some concern about how long the silicone will last before it starts breaking down. I don't think anyone knows the real answer. I will continue to buy both types of babies knowing that the new silicone's do require more powdering and they are more fragile to tearing. But I do continue to enjoy my older babies just as much.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
Rhonda W

Postby LHargreaves » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I WILL BE THE ODD MAN OUT....LOL....I do not like the ecoflex 30 or below....does not feel at all like my real babies did...feels like a floppy fish...MY BLaine is poured in regular silicone and my other that is coming is poured a step up from 30. I can't even imagine how gross the ecoflex 10 is!
On EBAY NOW
LHargreaves

PreviousNext

Return to General Dolly Discussions