~*Have you ever been ridiculed for collecting dolls?*~

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Kelliegirl

~*Have you ever been ridiculed for collecting dolls?*~

Post by Kelliegirl »

Or called "crazy"?

Well for the first time today, I was called a "crazy" lady, which normally wouldn't bother me, and I have a pretty thick skin for this sort of thing and I have learned not to care what most people think of me, but today was different. :(

Today I was told that I am an un-fit parent because I am a person who took my doll out for a walk in a stroller last weekend. :shock: Now, if it were anyone other than my ex-husband saying that, I wouldn't care, but that really hurt. I don't understand why people think that just because you collect dolls or take a doll out for a walk with you occasionally automatically makes you a crazy person…….I am a very average normal fairly successful person…….I work hard, I don't do drugs, drink or anything that I would consider bad or a waste of money……my own opinion, but still. I'm just sick of people judging us for this hobby and needed to vent. :banghead:

I know a lot of you have had different experiences with people being mean or saying things about your dolls, so I knew you all would understand.

I feel really hurt that my parenting would be called in to play and really thrown in my face because I collect dolls……..especially when I've been the one who has raised both of my daughters pretty much on my own because HE was the irresponsible one who wanted to party it up and not be a parent at all! :roll: So I try to do everything I can to ensure that my daughters are productive, contributing, well rounded human beings, so when someone who hasn't been the biggest part of their lives decides to judge me based on my hobby, I am truly VERY hurt by it. :(

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

I was so ticked about it that I also posted a video talking about being judged on YouTube…….I know a lot of doll collectors seem to get picked on at times and I just wanted to say that I understand why it hurts sometimes……….I am hoping the older I get the less I care when people call me a "crazy" person!!

Feel free to share if you have been hurt by someone judging you based on your collecting dolls. :grouphug:

Thanks in advance for letting me vent!! :heart: :foryou:
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
kristi

Re: ~*Have you ever been ridiculed for collecting dolls?*~

Post by kristi »

Never been called crazy, but I have had people say that reborns are "creepy'- I think they are confusing our dolls with Chucky movies they have seen or something- usually I just laugh and tell them doll collecting is really popular and not any more strange than collecting cars, stamps, jewelry, knick-knacks etc.
12_11_11 Liddy

Post by 12_11_11 Liddy »

Kellie!

Deep breath! Let's have a look at HIS parenting shall we, and then decide who can call who names!

Do not let that guy get you down, Infact I might be tempted to drop off one of Molly's "little surprises" next time you're doing a drive by 8)

Me? Well I was told that playing dollies wasn't Navy wife material, that hurt, but hey, it turns out HE wasn't Lydia husband material :flamethrow:

Sending you a :hug:
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

12_11_11 Liddy wrote:Kellie!

Deep breath! Let's have a look at HIS parenting shall we, and then decide who can call who names!

Do not let that guy get you down, Infact I might be tempted to drop off one of Molly's "little surprises" next time you're doing a drive by 8)

Me? Well I was told that playing dollies wasn't Navy wife material, that hurt, but hey, it turns out HE wasn't Lydia husband material :flamethrow:

Thank you!!! I know you know a little more about this situation and can understand why it is a bit of the "pot calling the kettle black" situation!!

Nonetheless, it still hurt………..I also know you know that you are way too good of a person for you know who anyways…….always will be his loss in my book, and I think he knows that as well!!

I know you'll find the perfect husband material for you in due time!! :heart: :hug:

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
frannie

Post by frannie »

Kellie, I'm sorry he made you feel like that. Don't let him get to you, it's most probably not even about your dolls but about hurting you...try to see his behavior as confirmation of your reasons to separate from him in the first place...you, like every woman on this planet, deserve a man who respects and appreciates you as the perfect human being that you are with all your likes, dislikes, good and bad sides AND your hobby that you enjoy. Don't let him bring you down :hug: !

Hugs,
Frannie
:heart: Bray :heart:
12_11_11 Liddy

Post by 12_11_11 Liddy »

Kelliegirl wrote:
12_11_11 Liddy wrote:Kellie!

Thank you!!! I know you know a little more about this situation and can understand why it is a bit of the "pot calling the kettle black" situation!!

Nonetheless, it still hurt………..I also know you know that you are way too good of a person for you know who anyways…….always will be his loss in my book, and I think he knows that as well!!

I know you'll find the perfect husband material for you in due time!! :heart: :hug:

Thanks Kellie :hug: you know he's gonna have a hell of a lot of questionnaires to fill out :lol:

I just think he's a total ass or as we like to say arrrrse :wink:

On the plus side, the real man in your life clearly thinks the world of you and built a pretty awesome nursery so I doubt those that matter have any issue will how you choose to spend your own time and money!

:foryou:
JenLee

Post by JenLee »

I had a family member (who is on every type of govt assistance and does meth) make fun of me for being an "adult who plays with dolls, is materialistic and spends too much (on dolls), even (my) husband is a toy soldier" - he's military. I will keep playing with my dolls and making money. When we fostered, no social workers were concerned about my doll obsession. I collect and make dolls, not meth... So I think I'm doing okay haha :headspin:
Dutch-Doll Geja

Post by Dutch-Doll Geja »

Hi Kellie,

I am so sorry someone hurt you and called you crazy.
How can somebody say you are not a good parent, because you took a walk with a doll, they must be crazy.
I have never had anyone call me crazy to my face, but I don't know what some people say behind my back.
Found out that some people think it is a bit of a weird hobby, still haven't found out why that is.
I hope that when someone calls me crazy, I can hold my head up high.
But if I am honest, I don't tell everyone about my hobby, so maybe I am a bit of a coward.
I really enjoy your videos, so I hope you will continue to share your babies with us.

Sending you a big hug,

Geja.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I am so sorry you had that happen to you, I think you are a great mum and I bet your beautiful daughters do too.
I have been lucky so far, my family have been very supportive of my hobby and my husband is great about it in fact he is driving me nearly 60 miles tomorrow to pick up my new pram and he also made my nursery for me but I know if I told some of my extended family about my hobby that they would not "get it".
Your ex is just being an a**e and he is probably jealous of what you have achieved in your personal and professional life without him.
That also goes for any other ladies who have had experienced this sort of thing, a lot of it is just down to jealousy of one sort or another, and would you really want to be with or associate with these people.
Sorry to rant but these narrow minded people make me sooo angry. x
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Consider the source my dear, consider the source!! I guess if he's you EX husband, the stress being on EX, there might be a reason or two more than the fact he doesn't like dolls (although that could be enough of a deal breaker for me LOL).
dana

Post by dana »

When people are happy with themselves and the way they go about things then they have no need to bring others down. He sees the joy the dolls bring you and I bet he wishes something as simple as a baby doll could give him the kind of peace it gives you. I love your post and I find it endearing that the babies make you happy. He is just trying to bring the mama bear out in you so you will be upset... But to the question about crazy lady...lol... I have had several people say they are creepy.. I act like it doesn't bother me because in my heart I know to each his own but I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me at all. Most of my neighbors have deer head and fish on the wall so I don't see why a doll should be creepy. No offense to those that have deer head and fish honestly but i just think its funny they think my dolls are weird when they have stuffed animals and fish on the wall. :hug: :hug:

Froggies4Brandi

Post by Froggies4Brandi »

I've never really been called "crazy" for it, but of course I am rarely allowed to take my dolls out. Mainly bc of my Dad. He thinks its weird that I would want to take a doll out of the house at the age of 27. He's actually embarrassed by it. Which really bothers me bc shouldn't it be me that needs to shoulder the embarrassment if anyone says anything? After all I would be the one carrying the doll. O_o
I am so very sorry for what your ex has done to you!! His comments were completely uncalled for!! :(
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

So sorry you were hurt Kelly. What an asinine thing to ridicule you over. He sounds like a real charmer to be honest. Seems you did the sensible thing and got rid of him!!!!! LOL

Sending hugs.

Jo in the UK
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Kellie I am so sorry that your jerk of an ex-husband would say that to you. He's just lashing out because he knows that he's been an inadequate parent to your girls so he figures this is a way to make him feel better about his piece of dirt self. I wouldn't give it another thought, pfffffffffffft, creep.

With that said people tell me all the time my dolls are creepy I really don't let it bother me because I figure most people have something they do, collect or whatever that others might not understand or agree with. I've used this example here before but I have known men who collect beer cans. When a hardcore beer can collector told me that people paid thousands of dollars for rusty beer cans I didn't believe it until I he showed me a rusty beer can that sold for, get this, $20,000.00. To say I was surprised was an understatement, but what I said was if that is what makes someone happy so be it. I do however draw the line when something someone does is hurtful, dangerous or disrespectful to themselves and other living creatures.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

You all are the BEST friends a girl could have!!!! :hug: :heart: All of these responses are exactly why I cherish you all so much! :grouphug: Thank you all so much for being here for me!!

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Candykim

Post by Candykim »

Oh ya I got called stuff but now most of my family accepts it
SANDY29

Post by SANDY29 »

Hi
Its sad when people make throw away comments like that just to hurt some one. If a doll gives you joy then where is the harm. There is enough suffering in the world you have to cherish happy moments and if that comes from doing something others don't understand or want too, then thats sad for them.

I'm sorry your ex spoke like that when it has nothing to do with your hobby or doll interest, it was said to hurt. Sounds like a real rat bag. Be glad you are shot of him.

Sandy x
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Ha~anything my ex has to say would go in one ear and out the other. I am sure there is plenty wrong with him so don't even give it a second thought...He was saying it to get a reaction...don't give him one :toast:
Jamie in Utah

Post by Jamie in Utah »

Losing out on you and your daughters is totally HIS loss! The funny thing is when you did take Sadie out for a walk in her stroller, lets see....who was with you??? One of your daughters! He's just , not sure what he is , but not worth your time!
You are awesome Kellie!