Anyone have an only child reborn?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
EmilyD

Anyone have an only child reborn?

Post by EmilyD »

I was just thinking about it tonight, and realized that while a lot of members have many reborns/dolls, many members must have "only children" by choice...who has only one reborn, completely by choice, and they want to keep it that way, regardless of how many they could afford?

I'm an only child, and while I don't want to only have one child down the road, in terms of reborns, I'm kind of thinking it would be neat to only have one, and be able to buy only one size of clothing, take pictures of only one, bring only one to doll get togethers, etc.
jenlovesdolls

Re: Anyone have an only child reborn?

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I would love to only have one, I know which one I would keep too!

I agree, I think it would definitely be easier to buy only one size clothing (and all my dolls, except one, DO wear the same size) etc.
I definitely enjoy my dolls more when I have less of them. Right now I have 4, and I do like them all. However, one stands out to me. I love her more than any doll I have ever had, and I think if I could sell the others for what I paid, I would only keep the one. Who knows, give me enough time, and she might end up an only doll LOL

For a while I did only have one doll, and I was very very happy with her. Then I got a second, then a third. By the time the 3rd came along I wanted them ALL gone. I wish I had just stuck to the one...I do miss that doll :(

Saoirse is my definite keeper. If I had to sell the rest, I would be a bit sad, but I would have no problem just keeping Saoirse.
The key for me is NOT looking at any other dolls! There will always be sculpts I love, and want to have. I generally have to sell one, or two, to get one.
If I did end up selling all mine and keeping the one, I would probably stop looking completely, and just enjoy the one.

(oh I am an only child as well, and a minimalist LOL)
Last edited by jenlovesdolls on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I too am an only child and I only have my Molly Huti Beatrix and have done for most of this year, like you said this has been through choice, I find it simpler for all the reasons you stated.
When I first reduced my collection down to one I think I was the "odd one out" on here but now I have noticed more ladies are doing the same.
I am getting a new baby soon, an Everleigh Eagles, she is a sleeper and as I have a friend near by we are going to be taking our babies on doll days out and I think a sleeper is much more realistic for this, I doubt I will get any more babies for a very long while though once "Alice" is home.
I hope this helps. X
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Oh! Me!! Me!! I have an only child(but I am one of 4) because I kept my very first reborn and have always meant to redo her(cause she is frankly pretty hideous looking) and will be keeping her always because my Mom bought me the kit(my first) after my fiance died to get my mind out of being so sad so she has real sentimental value. I don't collect reborns I collect BJD's and fashion dolls but I love her just the same. frizzy, crimpy brassy hair, crooked eyes and too red face and all... lol! My mom thought I was nuts and should have just sold her but I could no more sell a baby made from a kit that my mom bought me than I could give away or sell any other gift she got me. Silly Mom!! :roll:

Here she is:
KikiMae

Post by KikiMae »

I'm am also an only child! I don't have any reborn babies right now but I plan on keeping the one that is in the process of being finished as an only child for quite some time before I decide on another, that is if I decided I want another one.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

lifesabeachbabyKim wrote:Oh! Me!! Me!! I have an only child(but I am one of 4) because I kept my very first reborn and have always meant to redo her(cause she is frankly pretty hideous looking) and will be keeping her always because my Mom bought me the kit(my first) after my fiance died to get my mind out of being so sad so she has real sentimental value. I don't collect reborns I collect BJD's and fashion dolls but I love her just the same. frizzy, crimpy brassy hair, crooked eyes and too red face and all... lol! My mom thought I was nuts and should have just sold her but I could no more sell a baby made from a kit that my mom bought me than I could give away or sell any other gift she got me. Silly Mom!! :roll:

Here she is:
WOW Kim, if that is your first I would never have guessed it, I think she looks adorable!!
pudditat

Post by pudditat »

I have thought of that many times, but it's just too difficult. At least for me. Even if we ever have to downsize down to our last keeper baby...well that would be impossible, because it would be the Traveling Twins. :D :baby: :baby:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I was not an only child, however I was the only girl among 5 boys..it wasn't always easy. Then I had 4, three boys and one girl, she did better than I, though.

I am with you Emily! I have many dolls, a mixture of Reborns and my collection of Lee Middleton dolls. I have decided that is too many, at least for the LM dolls. Then there are the kits! Oh, no...
It is time to let go, the realization has hit me, having a smaller place, I haven't any storage other than the storage unit I pay on. I have half my kits here and then I have a whole plastic crate in storage! :banghead: What was I thinking??? :lol: :lol:

I only want 6 dolls to stay with me. The rest can go... (Oh that hurts to say that, I never thought this day would come)! I need a few for models, some to cuddle, some for show, that is it. :dunno: I guess one isn't going to be enough just yet for me.

:heart:

PS: I had forgotten the Barbies--a nightmare! I guess eBay is going to love me if and when I start selling.... :banghead:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

:dance: :dance: :dance: WOW!!! Kim, that baby is Gorgeous!! I am with Jen, it is hard to believe she is one of your first reborns.

Susan, those twins are a hit where ever you go, so making the choice of keeping them would be an awesome one. :dance: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Littleonesmariena

Post by Littleonesmariena »

I would love to have only one, but which one lol
It would be nice to just have a nursery set up for one baby
Maybe one day I will have the guts to do it and only have one baby
Meanwhile I love those that do have one and how they seem so happy to just have the one
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

Not me, although at the moment it would be nice for space. I just could never be able to choose who stays. I love them all!!!
With Love,
Stephanie
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

I do get it. It would be so much easier to only have one. Or even only 5. :lol: This is one area where the old saying "Less is more" does apply. But I could never keep it down to only one or just a few. I had to complicate it to the max. :lol: And I do have many moments that I feel so overwhelmed.
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

jenlovesdolls wrote:I would love to only have one, I know which one I would keep too!

I agree, I think it would definitely be easier to buy only one size clothing (and all my dolls, except one, DO wear the same size) etc.
I definitely enjoy my dolls more when I have less of them. Right now I have 4, and I do like them all. However, one stands out to me. I love her more than any doll I have ever had, and I think if I could sell the others for what I paid, I would only keep the one. Who knows, give me enough time, and she might end up an only doll LOL

For a while I did only have one doll, and I was very very happy with her. Then I got a second, then a third. By the time the 3rd came along I wanted them ALL gone. I wish I had just stuck to the one...I do miss that doll :(

Saoirse is my definite keeper. If I had to sell the rest, I would be a bit sad, but I would have no problem just keeping Saoirse.
The key for me is NOT looking at any other dolls! There will always be sculpts I love, and want to have. I generally have to sell one, or two, to get one.
If I did end up selling all mine and keeping the one, I would probably stop looking completely, and just enjoy the one.

(oh I am an only child as well, and a minimalist LOL)
I know exactly what you mean. I wish I had stopped after the one that is a definite keeper, would have saved me lots and lots of money too
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

lifesabeachbabyKim wrote:Oh! Me!! Me!! I have an only child(but I am one of 4) because I kept my very first reborn and have always meant to redo her(cause she is frankly pretty hideous looking) and will be keeping her always because my Mom bought me the kit(my first) after my fiance died to get my mind out of being so sad so she has real sentimental value. I don't collect reborns I collect BJD's and fashion dolls but I love her just the same. frizzy, crimpy brassy hair, crooked eyes and too red face and all... lol! My mom thought I was nuts and should have just sold her but I could no more sell a baby made from a kit that my mom bought me than I could give away or sell any other gift she got me. Silly Mom!! :roll:

Here she is:
I think she is cute :heart: Sorry to hear about the passing of your fiancé :foryou:
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

littlepinknurserytina wrote:I too am an only child and I only have my Molly Huti Beatrix and have done for most of this year, like you said this has been through choice, I find it simpler for all the reasons you stated.
When I first reduced my collection down to one I think I was the "odd one out" on here but now I have noticed more ladies are doing the same.
I am getting a new baby soon, an Everleigh Eagles, she is a sleeper and as I have a friend near by we are going to be taking our babies on doll days out and I think a sleeper is much more realistic for this, I doubt I will get any more babies for a very long while though once "Alice" is home.
I hope this helps. X
I think we are in the same boat, as your Beatrix means a lot to you (I can tell by your posts :heart: ), and my reborns mean the same amount to me, yet I really want to reduce the number.
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

KikiMae wrote:I'm am also an only child! I don't have any reborn babies right now but I plan on keeping the one that is in the process of being finished as an only child for quite some time before I decide on another, that is if I decided I want another one.
Definitely wait a while between your first and second reborn. I didn't wait, and ended up buying four reborns within a 6 month period, and I regret it.
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

pudditat wrote:I have thought of that many times, but it's just too difficult. At least for me. Even if we ever have to downsize down to our last keeper baby...well that would be impossible, because it would be the Traveling Twins. :D :baby: :baby:
You're fortunate enough to have a nice dolly room too, so you appear to have the space for the extra babies :) If I had your collection, I'd have trouble reducing the number too - everyone is sooo cute! :foryou:
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

Catherine wrote:I was not an only child, however I was the only girl among 5 boys..it wasn't always easy. Then I had 4, three boys and one girl, she did better than I, though.

I am with you Emily! I have many dolls, a mixture of Reborns and my collection of Lee Middleton dolls. I have decided that is too many, at least for the LM dolls. Then there are the kits! Oh, no...
It is time to let go, the realization has hit me, having a smaller place, I haven't any storage other than the storage unit I pay on. I have half my kits here and then I have a whole plastic crate in storage! :banghead: What was I thinking??? :lol: :lol:

I only want 6 dolls to stay with me. The rest can go... (Oh that hurts to say that, I never thought this day would come)! I need a few for models, some to cuddle, some for show, that is it. :dunno: I guess one isn't going to be enough just yet for me.

:heart:

PS: I had forgotten the Barbies--a nightmare! I guess eBay is going to love me if and when I start selling.... :banghead:
I'm going to guess that the Lee Middleton dolls and Barbies are going to be easier to part with than the reborns, as for some reason because of the realism, it makes them harder to part with :oops:

Are you a reborner? Thankfully because I am a collector, I don't have kits to store, but I can only imagine how overwhelming it is for people who have 50+ kits stashed away.
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

Littleonesmariena wrote:I would love to have only one, but which one lol
It would be nice to just have a nursery set up for one baby
Maybe one day I will have the guts to do it and only have one baby
Meanwhile I love those that do have one and how they seem so happy to just have the one
How many reborns/silicones do you currently have? I remember seeing pictures of the crib for the babies, and how nicely decorated it is, and how you've set the "nursery" up :heart:
EmilyD

Post by EmilyD »

WithloveSteph wrote:Not me, although at the moment it would be nice for space. I just could never be able to choose who stays. I love them all!!!
Do you think you'll feel differently once your second child arrives? I don't have any children, but I imagine having 0 interest in dolls, once the real thing arrives :lol: