Neutralizing one of the new BB gray looking vinyl kits....

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
anjsmiles Angie

Neutralizing one of the new BB gray looking vinyl kits....

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

However, the mix is a mystery, LOL. I took the ethnic brown mix I had left over from my last session and added some of my crease mix to it that I had left over and then added some Pyrrole red 07. The flesh mix had some flesh o5 with a hint of blue & yellow and I think some burnt umber.

What I ended up with is a color that is somewhere between the color of silly putty and terra cotta.
It is the color in the middle well here that I made.

Here is the painted head on the left compared to unpainted on the right. It has 2 layers of the mix I made on it. This is one of the sale kits I bought that I am going to reborn as a budget baby from my Simply Baby line. Now what I will do is mottle and blush her, paint creases, veins etc and then use a yellowish flesh layer last to pull it all together
that will be a Simply Baby. My Simply Baby line are dolls that are made for older children, Alzheimer's and Dementia comfort therapy, or just any adult looking for a simpler reborn on a budget.

She/he will either be bald or have painted hair.

NancyWdollielover

Re: Neutralizing one of the new BB gray looking vinyl kits..

Post by NancyWdollielover »

thank you, that is really helpful. You should put that on your blog :D
(also got the eyes on Sat in the middle of the snowstorm, thank you, perfect!)
Nancy
nanas newborns

Post by nanas newborns »

Looks good Angie, thanks for the information on how to neutralize this sick looking vinyl! I have been putting off starting Gabriel for weeks because I didn't know where to start.
:D Nancy
anjsmiles Angie

I should also add that I thinned this mix witha combination of Genesis thinning medium and odorless thinner. I have found that the combination of thinners gives the color enough bulk that it doesn't go on splotchy yet thin enough to get thin layers.
anjsmiles Angie

Here we are almost done painting. He/she has a hat that goes with this outfit but it is way too big. This is a flash pic.

nanas newborns

Post by nanas newborns »

Looks great, you would never know it started out as that ugly grey color! I have that outfit also and for some reason the hats are all big even when you buy preemie and newborn size. I think Carters made one size hat for all of them. I sew, so I always take them in some. Cute little baby! :D Nancy
anjsmiles Angie

I tried to figure out how to take this hat in but haven't any idea yet. Got any input on that?
nanas newborns

Post by nanas newborns »

Well the quick and dirty fix would be to just sew a seam on one side, taking it in about an inch or two. I have a serger, so it works pretty well as it finishes the seam off nicely on the inside. The right way would be to take the cuff off, sew the seam on each side of the hat in on the inside of the hat and the lining tapering it down to theedge where the ties on top start, then sew the cuff in on the seam side enough to fit the new hat bottom and sew it back on the hat. I bet this is as clear as mud to you, but I know what I mean! :lol: Good luck!! Nancy
anjsmiles Angie

Yea, I got you! Unfortunately, I don't have a serger but I am going to try a zig zag on the edge.