Re Blushing Silicone dolls

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Terry Q-ABCDollsCo

Re Blushing Silicone dolls

Post by Terry Q-ABCDollsCo »

Girls, I am only limited to the knowledge that I have gained from working in this field for about a year.

What I have learned.
1) ONLY silicone sticks to silicone.
2) There are two types of silicone, Platinum cured and Tin cured.
3) Each has to have its own type of sillicone to adhear to it or it will not cure.
4) You need to go back to the artist to find out what type your doll was made from.

To reblush, You can remove all original sillicone with fine sandpaper and acetone.
then you need some of the sillicone that matches your doll and the correct pigments that will work too. Atter that, you follow my instructions for painting silicone and your paint will stick.

(I had asked Steve if we could have a Silicone play board, just for silicone. We could learn casting together and creating the dolls and also retouching them. He has not written me back yet. What do you think? Please don't get me in trouble here. lol I just think that we couild find silicone answers easier them mixing them up in creative play which is mostly reborning. Silicone is a horse of a different breed.)

Please do not remove this post to Creative Play. This is not about the creaters. This is reasurance for the buyers of Silicone dolls and help for them if they have painting issues. This is a Silicone related post only. Thanks.

Hello, When I began silicone painting, I had troubles with the paint not sticking as well have some other artists.

I did alot of research to resolve this problem. I worked with Smoothon and the man here did many experiements with me on it. They sent me names of people that are in the business related to hollywood and I asked questions.

It came down to a couple things. Once the dolls are poured and cured, they resist the paint. Therefore it can be tricky. I did however come up with many little tricks that are working very well to keep the pain on very solid. I am willing to share this information with anyone so that people who might be having trouble with the painting will have success.

1) always clean the piece well with Acetone(I use it cut with water, but straight is ok) on a clean papertowel.

2) I have my "A" paint mixed up ahead of time with my color. First I made a film canister with the color that I use. Then I took some of that color about 10/20 percent color to "A" and mixed them up.
I then use a product called Silicone Oil that I got from Smoothon. I mix the "A" to the thinness of acrylic paint.

3) That sits all the time ready for me. Then when I am ready to paint and have cleaned my piece, I take a tooth pick and pour out about a tsp. of "A" on one side of the plate and the same of "B" on the other side of the plate. I use styrophoam or coated paper plates. Use clean tooth picks in each one.

4) The key here is SMALL AMOUNTS and WORK FAST!!!! I take a clean tooth pick into the "A" and take a drop and same with "B" and put them together on another clean plate. Here is where I go very quick. I take my finger and mix it up really fast and then apply it to a spot such as the cheek. I put a dab on and wipe my finger. Then I take my finger and pounce it out to the edge, leaving a darker spot in the center.
Always apply THIN THIN layers. If you need it darker, you can add more the next day. Thick layers are the layers at risk.

5) NEVER go back over a spot. It will only cause the already curing paint to loosen.

6) Then I let that piece dry over night. By the way, I am using Dragonskin Q which is the quick drying version of the B.

7) The next day I turn the piece over and do the other side. Always maintaining clean pieces and using tiny amounts at a time.

The reason for the small amounts is that it starts to cure very fast. If you mix up too much, the product will be curing before you know it and you will be applying cured product on and not even realize this. It will create what is known as a cold gap between the doll and the paint and later on, it will peel off easy.

Since I started using these tricks, I can take my finger nails and dig at paint that is a couple weeks old and it will not come off.

I don't make my dolls thumbsuckers so far, so I have not had any problem or experience with that.

If you have purchased a doll from an artist and need to touch up, you should be able to get some of the artists color A and some B and do this with these techniques. An artist can ship color in film canisters with putting tinfoil in the bottom to fill it up so as to not take the whole canister up. It will not cure until mixed together.

I would offer this help to any one who has one of my dolls and has any problem with the paint.
Thanks, Terry

Post by debbiesdreambabies »

I had asked Steve if we could have a Silicone play board, just for silicone. We could learn casting together and creating the dolls and also retouching them. He has not written me back yet. What do you think? Please don't get me in trouble here. lol I just think that we couild find silicone answers easier them mixing them up in creative play which is mostly reborning. Silicone is a horse of a different breed.)

I think that's a great idea!! From reading different posts I see also that alot of people don't understand that the new manufactured silicone/vinyl dolls are TOTALLY different that solid silicones. They think they are all just silicone :)

Debbie
Jude

Post for Vinyl/Silicone dolls only

Post by Jude »

I don't have alot of computer time.
But-I do have quite afew v/s dolls.
It really needs to be on a post of it's own.
Maybe it already is!
Thx for listening
Jude
Lullabydolls*Janet*

Post by Lullabydolls*Janet* »

Terry can I ask you how long inbetween coats do you wait, I am not using the quick set Dragonskin, and I think I have finally managed to get the paint to stay on, I did what you said about the acetone, and that has made a huge difference, thanks Janet.
alienor

Post by alienor »

hello

what's new about a silicone board ???? great idea :D
Rosiekins

Post by Rosiekins »

I only have one question......... Terry do you rent rooms to teach this?? hehe....... I live close!!

Rosie
Jude

problems with silicone/vinyl

Post by Jude »

Terry-

You are talking about all silicone right?

Some of us are only talking about the sm & ad dolls.
Emily, etc., the silicone/vinyl mix.
We need to know which one the person is talking about.
It's confusing enough already.
Jude
nancy_schroeder_ca

Post by nancy_schroeder_ca »

I think a forum for silicone only would be great! If this didn't have a sticky on it, it would have been much harder to find! It was just what I needed as I just got some paint from an artist to do touch up!

Nancy
susi

Post by susi »

TERRY ARE YOU THERE?????????????????????
whats happening about a silicone forum......anything??????
JanWeb

Re: Re Blushing Silicone dolls

Post by JanWeb »

I have my "A" paint mixed up ahead of time with my color. First I made a film canister with the color that I use. Then I took some of that color about 10/20 percent color to "A" and mixed them up.
I then use a product called Silicone Oil that I got from Smoothon. I mix the "A" to the thinness of acrylic paint.

Terry can you please tell me where to buy these special paints? My curiousity is running wild :lol: Thanks

Love
JanWeb
Bobbie Clark

Post by Bobbie Clark »

Terry I just got a silicone baby and she needs help. I have taken the lip color off and her blush is bad to, she is a solid silicone and I have no idea how to redo her any help you can give me would be great. Thanks I think we need this forum also... HELP
wee_Angels

thank-you for the info

Post by wee_Angels »

Thank-you for the info...it has been a great help...I also have had problems with the PLATINUM silicone...now I know, why! I wish , STEVE, would have let me know in advance....I bought 3 of his dolls, and here they sit!

can you give me a reason why, you can use watered down, acitone on this vinyl, when it is deadly, to other types of vinyl? Just curious...

regards,

katheran
irma babies

Post by irma babies »

hi, that would great having a silicone forum.i made a silicone mold but i won,t know if it will work for making a silicone babies ,irma babies
susi wrote:TERRY ARE YOU THERE?????????????????????
whats happening about a silicone forum......anything??????
wee_Angels

PLATINUM SILICONE VINYL PAINTS...WHERE TO GET THEM?

Post by wee_Angels »

HI I don't post often, but have been following the SV coloring for awhile. :D

Is there more than one place to buy the colors? Where do you GET the colors referred to in the prev. posts...? I still have my 3 PSV dolls sitting waiting to re-color :(

ANYONE?

Katheran
GrammaDonna

BLUSHING A SILICONE AD DOLL! :'(

Post by GrammaDonna »

I wish someone on this doll forum would help all of us who are having problems with our silicone dolls. Right now, I'd be more then willing to pay somebody who could help me! :cry: I am so darn frustrated with trying to color the skin on my AD "Christy" doll, I want to scream!!! I thought that was what this doll forum was for, to help one another and give ideas to each other. I'm sure I am not the only person who wants to learn the correct technique of coloring and blushing a silicone doll. Pleazzzz if anyone has any compassion for the rest of who need this sort of help, speak up and have some kind of class???
Thanks for your time, Donna
wee_Angels

COLORING SV...DONNA?

Post by wee_Angels »

HI DONNA < perhaps I can help...if so give me a shout at dollady@omineca.com

I have colored several AD dolls..my main problem is the "PURE SV" like the platinum type...I know it requires the pure SV paints...which I don't have at the moment :(

regards,

Katheran
hearttheresaann

Post by hearttheresaann »

hello I just posted on another topic this link maybe it will help.
http://www.artmolds.com/category104.cfm
GrammaDonna

Blushing a silicone baby.

Post by GrammaDonna »

Hi Theresa!
Thank you for the link. I will check it out later. :wink:
Hugs Always, Donna
maria1968

Post by maria1968 »

I thought I'd share this info since I have used it on my Rita's solid silicone baby and it really does work. The funny part is you guys probably already have the stuff at your own home. Like I did.
Read the first post. Don't forget the dusting it with cornstarch. It really works. I just thought I'd share.

http://p2.forumforfree.com/painting-tin ... drama.html
GrammaDonna

Blushing a Silicone Doll! ;-)

Post by GrammaDonna »

Good morning Maria!
Thanks so much for the link but, unless you're a member, it won't work. :cry: Could you maybe copy this info for me and, paste it into a reply on this dollfan forum??? I appreciate the help.
Thanks again and have a lovely week! :wink:
Always, Donna