Doll Forums and Places to Sell Dolls

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
mtro

Doll Forums and Places to Sell Dolls

Post by mtro »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were other discussion groups like this one regarding dolls that I might not know about.

I also wanted to know what alternatives there are to Ebay and Facebook as places to sell dolls from my personal collection. I am selling ooak, silicone, reborn and some boxed dolls but Ebay keeps adding all kinds of fees and restrictions and I was wondering if there are other options in terms of selling them.

Let me know what you think.

Miriam :hi ya:
Barbara L.

Re: Doll Forums and Places to Sell Dolls

Post by Barbara L. »

You have a cute baby in your signature!
I sell on here and eBay. I follow a lot of doll pages on Facebook, but have only bought small, in expensive things on those pages, so far.
I am interested to see what information you get with your question.
"Hold your family close, love and protect them and always be kind."
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

With so many people - myself included - wanting to sell the dolls they have I think that you just have to sell where you can or donate. This site is more and more becoming a selling site - a mini eBay. I miss what it use to be -- but then I miss a lot that use to be. Take care and stay safe. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
mtro

Post by mtro »

Thanks Ruth and Barbara,

Ruth, I never thought I would want to sell most of my collection, however due to financial reasons, and my planning of an eventual move, I have to sell off many dolls from my prized collection. I agree that Doll Fan is not as popular as it used to be. I generally enjoy reading it and participating, but have been teaching remotely, which is keeping me extremely busy.

Barbara, Thanks for your response too. I have a soft spot in my heart for Huti silicones and ooaks, and one of them is in my signature.

---Miriam
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

mtro wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:04 pm Thanks Ruth and Barbara,

Ruth, I never thought I would want to sell most of my collection, however due to financial reasons, and my planning of an eventual move, I have to sell off many dolls from my prized collection. I agree that Doll Fan is not as popular as it used to be. I generally enjoy reading it and participating, but have been teaching remotely, which is keeping me extremely busy.

Barbara, Thanks for your response too. I have a soft spot in my heart for Huti silicones and ooaks, and one of them is in my signature.

---Miriam
I think many of us enjoyed the glory days of buying and enjoying our babies -- never, at least in my case, thinking about the future and what it might look like. I actually don't think it is totally due to covid -- I think that when I was young (I'm now 81) I never thought that it would end -- that dolls would just keep increasing in value/cost ...like so much in our life --- looking back I failed to see that new dolls were being made every day and there are simply not enough people who collect dolls to buy all those dolls both old and new. So here we are with a shrinking market for our babies that hold so many memories for us and yet financial and aging needs to deal with. I wish you success. Take care, Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Annette

Post by Annette »

If you’re in the States, there’s Mercari for selling and buying. If you’re not, you can’t. I think there’s a site called “Poshmark” too, but not sure there’s dolls on there. If you go on Facebook, check to see if you have a local “Marketplace”, as you can buy and sell on there. But, take care on there, as you have people coming to your home to pick up, or meet them in a public place, for safety’s sake. I have bought things on my area Marketplace, and done e-transfers, but they’ve been no contact pick ups from people’s mailboxes or front steps, because of COVID. So far, it has been just fine. Or, look on Facebook for specific doll groups, like Huti’s or reborns, or whatever types/artist dolls you’re selling. You can post on those to an audience specifically looking for those types of dolls.

The market has definitely changed with regards to the doll world. And selling on EBay costs more for the seller, not only in fees, but in the fact there are many scammers there now, and unfortunately, they’re getting away with it. 🙁 It’s not as safe as it used to be.
Plus there are so many new dolls coming out, that the market is saturated. Unless you have something unique, or have a hugely popular reputation and following for your dolls, be they reborn, silicones or whatever other medium, or own some of the same, it’s difficult to sell.
I, personally, only sell here. I’ve tried selling on Facebook, but because I’m not “known”, it didn’t work. So, I just try here. I have bought my Lee Middleton’s on Facebook, and EBay lately, but wouldn’t buy anything hugely expensive off there unless I know the seller.

I wish you the best of luck selling your dolls. And I’ll keep an eye out for any you may post on here. 😉
Hugs Annette
mtro

Post by mtro »

Annette wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:20 am If you’re in the States, there’s Mercari for selling and buying. If you’re not, you can’t. I think there’s a site called “Poshmark” too, but not sure there’s dolls on there. If you go on Facebook, check to see if you have a local “Marketplace”, as you can buy and sell on there. But, take care on there, as you have people coming to your home to pick up, or meet them in a public place, for safety’s sake. I have bought things on my area Marketplace, and done e-transfers, but they’ve been no contact pick ups from people’s mailboxes or front steps, because of COVID. So far, it has been just fine. Or, look on Facebook for specific doll groups, like Huti’s or reborns, or whatever types/artist dolls you’re selling. You can post on those to an audience specifically looking for those types of dolls.

The market has definitely changed with regards to the doll world. And selling on EBay costs more for the seller, not only in fees, but in the fact there are many scammers there now, and unfortunately, they’re getting away with it. 🙁 It’s not as safe as it used to be.
Plus there are so many new dolls coming out, that the market is saturated. Unless you have something unique, or have a hugely popular reputation and following for your dolls, be they reborn, silicones or whatever other medium, or own some of the same, it’s difficult to sell.
I, personally, only sell here. I’ve tried selling on Facebook, but because I’m not “known”, it didn’t work. So, I just try here. I have bought my Lee Middleton’s on Facebook, and EBay lately, but wouldn’t buy anything hugely expensive off there unless I know the seller.

I wish you the best of luck selling your dolls. And I’ll keep an eye out for any you may post on here. 😉

Hi Annette, Thanks so much for your honest and detailed response. I don't like to sell on Facebook, but will probably do some listings back on DollFan eventually. I agree with your analysis of selling on Ebay. There are a lot of non-paying bidders and scammers out there. Ebay should do a better job of monitoring them and penalizing them for their actions. A couple of months ago, a prospective buyer actually made death threats to me, because I didn't get back to her soon enough with a detail about a doll I was selling. By not get back to her soon enough, I mean within a span of hours when I was working. I contacted Ebay. She was from out of the country and I told Ebay about it. They did not penalize her in any way and she actually upped her threats, on my life, threatening to send the mafia after me! Over a doll! It was crazy. The fees have gotten out of control, and now Ebay does managed payments, which means that when someone does pay, it takes over a week for Ebay to process the payment at all. So, hopefully other avenues for selling will open up. I am still selling on Ebay, but I will say, it has not been easy.

Full Body Silicone Baby Doll Leona by Bonnie SiebenFull Body Silicone B ...
2020-10-25 07:18:08SiliconeFor Sale4900 USD
Full Body Silicone Baby Doll Leona by Bonnie Siebe ...

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.