Alabama Baby by Ella Smith

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
cookielover

Alabama Baby by Ella Smith

Post by cookielover »

This morning I read a post about the decision to stay or not to stay on Doll Fan. My response was that I planned to stay because I was on here because I enjoyed others who enjoyed my hobby of dolls. We are very different from each other in many ways - but we have in common our hobby. So I would like to invite others to share their dolls -- no matter what they are -- they are important to you and will be important to me. Please share.

Having said that I will now share my Alabama Baby made by Ella Smith in Alabama in the 1910 -1920 period. She is in very good condition and I was lucky to find her on shopgoodwill.com just a few months ago, Look up Ella Smith/Alabama baby on line and there is lots of information. I have named her Macie Louise after one of Ella's adopted children. I am working on her clothes and will post other pictures to show progress.

Macie is about 22 inches tall She is handmade of heavy material, stuffed, hand painted. She was a play doll at the time she was made and sold either dressed or not dressed. Here you can see her original underwear
IMG_0754 2.jpeg

Here is a view of Macie's body and construction. Enjoy her. Ruth
IMG_0760.jpeg
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
tovisbabies

Re: Alabama Baby by Ella Smith

Post by tovisbabies »

Wow
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Yes - WOW - she is a precious addition to my life. I am 81 and staying at home alone during this pandemic. Working on her clothes has added hours of enjoyment for me . How are others spending your time?

Here is her dress that I made for her.
IMG_0783.jpeg
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

She is just darling Ruth.
Hugs,
Nadia

cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Would love to see how others are spending their time during this pandemic in order to stay okay. Ruth
Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama »

Ruth, she is an amazing find. I am going to go read about Ella Smitha/Alabama Baby. I love the dress that you have made for her. It suits her perfectly.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Here is a picture from my research showing different sizes of Alabama babies.
three sizes.jpg
The dolls were a cottage industry in Ella Smith's home. Here is a picture of her workers
Smith workers.jpg
Research into dolls and their history is very interesting to me. Thanks for looking. Ruth
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

My Alabama Baby is named Macie. Here is a quote on Ella Smith adopting the original baby.

" In March 1909, Bud and Ella adopted a baby girl named Mary Louis Dixon, who they later renamed Macie Louis Smith. They adopted Macie while at the train station, where they saw her mother and five siblings waiting to be taken to an orphanage. Macie was going to reside in an institution with her mother, until Ella adopted her on the spot. The Smiths never told Macie of her other biological siblings, but Ella donated dolls every Christmas to orphanages in the area with the hopes that they would reach the other children. Later, the Smiths unofficially adopted several other children including their nephew, Carey Gauntt." Such tough times.

Source of quote: http://randolphcountyheritage.weebly.co ... smith.html
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

What a wonderful story and such a precious dolly. I think she's beautiful. I have always loved antique and vintage dolls, they are my favorites to be honest. Her little dress is precious. She was such a great find at shopgoodwill.com.

I always have intentions to post pictures, but the last couple years have been blah for me. I am hoping 2021 I will get to feeling better and be more motivated because I do have lots of dolls and my dolly/girly room to show, but recently,

I had a bad trip, literally tripping trying not to hurt my injured left leg and in the process fell hard on both my right and left knees at 2:30 in the morning a month ago, I am in intense almost constant pain I have another virtual doctors appt. tomorrow after going to the ER a couple weeks ago when they discovered I have fluid on my left knee, but boy a month of intense pain and not sleeping and with Mike being gone has really made me reach my limit. If I didn't have 3 dogs, 2 huge and 1 small it would be different, but they are a handful and are high maintenance so relaxing is not in the cards until Mike comes home a couple days before Christmas, problem is he'll only be here maybe a week so no time to rest and heal. Sorry, I am whining.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Oh Georgeanne I am so sorry to hear of your continuing difficulties and wish I was nearby to help. But your friends here on DF are here for you. The real reason I started this thread was NOT to just show my Alabama Baby -- it was also to get others on DF to reconnect and realize that there are few places today that offer what DF has always offered -- good friends who will listen as well as share our hobby. Hope you will start a separate thread about one of the dolls you love and others will do the same so maybe, just maybe we can get back to the "old DF" friendships. I have hopes. I will be thinking about your saying "When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark. Alice in Wonderland" Take care and stay safe , Ruth
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Here is Macie - my Alabama Baby - in her bonnet that I made for her. Thanks for looking. Ruth
IMG_0802 2.jpeg
IMG_0804 2.jpeg
IMG_0803 2.jpeg
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

Such an amazing find!❤️
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this story about the Alabama Baby Doll and to those who also responded. Here is Macie as a finished doll - am working on a quilt for her but that will take some time. So here she is in her pinafore at last! Thanks again for looking. Stay safe, Ruth
IMG_0828.jpeg
IMG_0826.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_0828.jpeg
Dion

Post by Dion »

:heart: I love your Macie and her history. I am sure that she brought a little girl a lot of joy and maybe several little girls. It's so sad that the children were being taken to the orphanage. It was wonderful for little Macie to be adopted, but so sad that the children were separated from each other. It makes one wonder what happened to the other 4. It must have been very difficult times. Thank you for sharing your very special little girl.

:heart: :foryou: :heart: Hugs, Dion
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Thank you my sweet friend Ruth. I love the outfit and bonnet you've made for your baby, that just makes her even more special. I can't wait to see the quilt you make for her. I know all this with me will pass, it's just really taking a toll on me. Spoke with my doctor Tuesday and have an appointment in her office Monday, she is talking about giving me cortisone shots in both knees so I am hoping that will help relieve the pain. Then will probably have MRI's of both knees.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

What a great find! I’m glad you’re enjoying the project she provides in outfitting her along with her history and sweet face 😊
:D Jen xx
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

georgeanne wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pm Thank you my sweet friend Ruth. I love the outfit and bonnet you've made for your baby, that just makes her even more special. I can't wait to see the quilt you make for her. I know all this with me will pass, it's just really taking a toll on me. Spoke with my doctor Tuesday and have an appointment in her office Monday, she is talking about giving me cortisone shots in both knees so I am hoping that will help relieve the pain. Then will probably have MRI's of both knees.
Hope the doctor will have some help for you dear Georgeanne. It is hard enough to live with pain when there isn't all the pandemic things going on and of course much harder during the current times. Then it really takes a toll on you. Stay safe and keep in touch. :heart: Ruth
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

Shes lovely. I am especially fond of her turquoise shoes....my favourite colour alog with red.

I'm going to come back and read her history with a cuppa later on tonight......Christmas chores!!!

Happy Christmas

Jo in the UK
Annette

Post by Annette »

Wow! Looking at Macie makes me think that whomever had her all those years ago, must have looked after her very well, for her to have survived all these years, and looking so good! What a pretty thing she is!
A lovely addition to your collection. 😊❤️
Hugs Annette
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Annette wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:25 am Wow! Looking at Macie makes me think that whomever had her all those years ago, must have looked after her very well, for her to have survived all these years, and looking so good! What a pretty thing she is!
A lovely addition to your collection. 😊❤️
I agree with you -- she is virtually like the day she was made -- probably in the 1910 to 1920 period since the company stopped making dolls around 1925 due to losing a court case that bankrupted them. Another part of the history of Alabama Babies. Anyway she is in great condition -- you only have to look on eBay for antique Alabama Baby dolls to see how many are in poor repair. Doesn't make them less important -- since they were loved and treasured and worn out during their life. In that way maybe Macie missed a lot to have stayed in such great condition -- but she is loved now!!!!! Thanks again for everyone who reads this thread.

I think it would be great for others to start a thread on a special doll that they love. We need to get DF back to our hobby and our friendly discussions!! :grouphug:

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.