Where have all the babies gone?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
~Marilyn~

Re: Where have all the babies gone?

Post by ~Marilyn~ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Emilys_Dream_Dolls wrote:I just want to say that I enjoy selling my dolls here on Doll Fan! I am always willing to do custom orders, and I offer both bald babies and painted hair babies. I take my painting VERY seriously and probably spend too much time painting - and hair painting - and fussing over skin tones in particular; but I love the results I achieve by putting in this extra time, and I think my dolls are well priced in the $400 - $700 range, completed and shipped within a three week window.

While there are people who enjoy hair rooting (me not being one of them, unfortunately) I also offer my dolls bald if their mommies choose to send them for rooting. I have had many satisfied customers who do it this way. Anyhow, there are some of us "local" DF artists still standing amid the flooded market, and you needn't look too far. :wink:

:toast: Emily you always care so much about your clients. I know just how much you put into your babies. Your painted hair is gorgeous and just as labor intensive if not more so than rooted hair. And just as beautiful. I love both and isn't it wonderful that there are the best artists right here on DF in rooted and painted hair :heart: , the best of both worlds and both valuable in their own right.
Lucy

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Emily,
I just want to say that you are one of my favorite artists in terms of realism. I have two of your babies and love them both. And your prices are very fair in my opinion. I do wish you rooted your babies as that is my preference. However, your painted hair is awesome.
Hugs,
Nadia

Jennifee5

Post by Jennifee5 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 am

I'm working on 4 babies now that will be up for adoption soon! :D

marilyn

Post by marilyn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:29 am

Emilys_Dream_Dolls wrote:Just noticed there are only 28 people logged in right now, on a Sunday night. How sad! I remember the days when there were 80!
That is what I am talkng about.

CoriesLilLoves

Post by CoriesLilLoves » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:50 am

Yup, yup and yup. Not sure if it's the time of year or the fact that there are so many other places to purchase babies from these days. I, personally have not bought any babies off FB, I stick to ebay and here but I have not bought a baby in the longest time. I just can't afford to loose that much money anymore. So now I trade when I want to bring home a new little one. Either that or just admire everyone else's babies!

tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:37 am

Firstly Judith I love your Poppy Strydom :heart:

After years of collecting and losing money when selling them on I became more picky. I only bought if I thought they'd be here to stay
Downside of that is my little dollroom is full of keepers and I have no room for more. So I have to ignore the need for a new face (until I win the lottery and buy a bigger house :lol: )

I love everyone in my collection though and count my blessings
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello

marilyn

Post by marilyn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 am

CoriesLilLoves wrote:Yup, yup and yup. Not sure if it's the time of year or the fact that there are so many other places to purchase babies from these days. I, personally have not bought any babies off FB, I stick to ebay and here but I have not bought a baby in the longest time. I just can't afford to loose that much money anymore. So now I trade when I want to bring home a new little one. Either that or just admire everyone else's babies!
I only know of 3 places to go where I can see most babies at one time: ebay, doll-fan, and Reborn Addicts. As far individual websites, I don't have time to go to all of those nor do I have the desire. AND, most often times than not, no prices are listed and either. Etsy is just as bad as ebay and Reborn addicts....too much crap to sift through.

So, even though I do not very often see much of what I can afford AND love, I still use ebay.

~Marilyn~

Post by ~Marilyn~ » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:34 am

marilyn wrote:
Emilys_Dream_Dolls wrote:Just noticed there are only 28 people logged in right now, on a Sunday night. How sad! I remember the days when there were 80!
That is what I am talkng about.
Ive noticed that too. :( A lot of our original posters and artists are hanging out someplace else these days. I think social media plays a big part. Too many choices, FB, Instagram, Snapchat (?) , they just can't be everywhere.
Lucy

kimskids

Post by kimskids » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:28 pm

I stopped posting on here bc I post mostly from my phone and it won't let me on here.....

Storm

Post by Storm » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:32 pm

I used to post a year or so ago more....I stopped posting when more people got more into silicones which I did not really prefer the "look" of compared to how "pretty" regular reborn dolls looked?
I am not an artist, I just wanted some pretty dolls lol - all 4 of mine were made by DF members :D :heart:

I also fell into Himstedts and BJDs and that was it for me and babies.
Though... I'm keeping my Bronwyn (painted by KimsBeachBabies McClung) and my Chenoa (by Jasmine). They are too dear to me. :heart:

I'm selling my London and my Livia and most of the clothes this week lol.

tuckerk

Post by tuckerk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:10 pm

I am a collector and still love looking at all the beautiful babies but if I am interested in a new baby I need to try and sell another as I have so many............I buy dolls because I love them, therefore it doesn't matter if they depreciate and I never make money on a baby, usually take a big loss.................Hugs, Kathy

Tiffany20

Post by Tiffany20 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:03 pm

I know for myself, I've adopted babies over the months but haven't been posting many pictures :roll: . Either busy, tired or haven't felt like playing dollies :oops: . The board has been very quiet. I certainly haven't been helping lately but Facebook has no pull for me. Doll Fan will always be home :heart: .

God Bless,
Tiffany
My Favorite Little Boy
Andrew Helland

AnDolls

Post by AnDolls » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm not into Facebook.. But I get periods of being busy with work/family and than I go MIA from Dollfan. And, I'm going to be an "Auntie" again in November so I'm focused elsewhere.

But, the Best thing is unlike real babies my little gang will be patiently waiting and exactly where I last laid them down when I have more time. Can't say that about the real kids..lol

marilyn

Post by marilyn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:41 am

tixiepixi_linda wrote: After years of collecting and losing money when selling them on I became more picky. I only bought if I thought they'd be here to stay
Downside of that is my little dollroom is full of keepers and I have no room for more. So I have to ignore the need for a new face (until I win the lottery and buy a bigger house :lol: )

I love everyone in my collection though and count my blessings
That is why I buy also, but unfortunately, no matter how many pictures are provided, it is still difficult to know that you've made a good choice. I've paid 600+ for some of my "quality" dolls only to find that once I received them, I was somewhat disappointed. Sometimes the coloring; sometimes their weight or just didn't like the sculpt. So, here I am....stuck with this doll that I would NEVER get even 1/2 of what I paid back if I tried to sell it. I can't afford to lose that much money as I'm sure many of you cannot. That is why I will not pay those prices any longer for a doll. So, no matter how beautiful they are in pics, it is too risky.

allacox

Post by allacox » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 am

I totally agree with all of you Ladies, but if you think about reborn dolls as an art, it will never bring your money back right away. Like if you buy any paintings, you should love and believe in the artist and his future, and if you are lucky and have the right sense, with time artist popularity will grow as well as your investment, but we are not talking about months or even years. I believe if you bought a high quality doll and kept it in great condition your kids or even grandchildren might be very thankful for that.

Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:15 am

lifesabeachbabyKim wrote:
Elisabettas Babies wrote:To be honest I haven't posted a baby for sale on DF in a long time. In the past two years the only things that seem to have views are posts of expensive FB silicones, and anything else gets the crickets.

Selling reborns is at its hardest right now. There are way too many wannabes who make poorly done dolls for even under $100 and get money from the new collectors. Then the newbie gets the poorly done doll and thinks "what's the deal with reborns, they aren't all that". And when I come along with my reborn which took me a week to paint and two to root, guess what? They ask me if I can sell for $199. It happened even at ROSE show. Lots of people who frowned at prices.
But what can I say, if my Harper has micro rooted Angela Sprott mohair, glass eyes and a hand made outfit which includes crochet hat and booties in premium wool, is $450 too much?
Heck no that's not too much E. Not by a long shot. In fact, not even enough by half.
That's what I think but so far I've had only people who wanted her for nothing. The best is somebody who messaged me on Etsy asking how long a doll was and then said "sorry, my grandma said there is no money for new dolls now, I'll have to pass"... :dance:

ladyelizabeth

Post by ladyelizabeth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Emilys_Dream_Dolls wrote:You all have made me think a LOT this week about my own work! Should I ease myself back into rooting? Should I offer custom dolls that are rooted but warn my customers that it will take me forever (and that the prices will reflect that?)? Perhaps if I start small, let's say...on Twin A? Baby steps...
Don't change, Emily! As an artist, I think it very important to follow your own creative gut, instead of forcing yourself into a direction that may not be reflective of your style... Of course if you want to branch out and root, then do so, but do it because you want to do it, not because of the market...

When I adopted your Josephine Klinger prototype ("Gabriel"), he was the first painted hair baby I had seen up close and I remember opening his box and being literally struck breathless by his painted hair... it STILL amazes me. Not to mention that today his hair is just as perfect as the day I got him (unlike some of my rooted dolls who are shedding and make me sneeze :( )

So, I think creating to please the "current market" isn't necessary - keep painting hair if it makes you happy :heart:

As for the changes in the reborn market....I too find it sad. I love DollFan - even though I don't post much, but I have purchased some dolls from lovely ladies here, and every transaction has been comfy and easy. Ebay simply scares me now - lots of scammers and yucky postings - though I do keep a "watch list" on Ebay of my favorite DollFan artists - but have no plans of migrating to FB.

~Marilyn~

Post by ~Marilyn~ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:11 pm

ladyelizabeth wrote:
Emilys_Dream_Dolls wrote:You all have made me think a LOT this week about my own work! Should I ease myself back into rooting? Should I offer custom dolls that are rooted but warn my customers that it will take me forever (and that the prices will reflect that?)? Perhaps if I start small, let's say...on Twin A? Baby steps...
Don't change, Emily! As an artist, I think it very important to follow your own creative gut, instead of forcing yourself into a direction that may not be reflective of your style... Of course if you want to branch out and root, then do so, but do it because you want to do it, not because of the market...

When I adopted your Josephine Klinger prototype ("Gabriel"), he was the first painted hair baby I had seen up close and I remember opening his box and being literally struck breathless by his painted hair... it STILL amazes me. Not to mention that today his hair is just as perfect as the day I got him (unlike some of my rooted dolls who are shedding and make me sneeze :( )

So, I think creating to please the "current market" isn't necessary - keep painting hair if it makes you happy :heart:

As for the changes in the reborn market....I too find it sad. I love DollFan - even though I don't post much, but I have purchased some dolls from lovely ladies here, and every transaction has been comfy and easy. Ebay simply scares me now - lots of scammers and yucky postings - though I do keep a "watch list" on Ebay of my favorite DollFan artists - but have no plans of migrating to FB.

:toast:
Lucy

ladyelizabeth

Post by ladyelizabeth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:32 pm

You are welcome, Emily! and Gabriel sends hugs :hug: