History of reborning???

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Annette

History of reborning???

Post by Annette »

I’ve been asked to do a presentation of sorts, at my Dad’s seniors home in October, about making reborns, but I have no idea where to start. I’ve never done anything like it before, and I’m not that confident about speaking in front of people. :(.
But thought I might give a little information on when and how reborning started, but I don’t have information about it. My memory is bad, so I can’t remember the year or who started it. :oops:
Is there somewhere I could find the history of reborning? Thanks. I’m told I’ll have about an hour. I have two of my dolls with me, that some of the residents have already seen, so will take them with me. They want to know how they’re made too.
So, any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou so much.
:)
Hugs Annette

Threads

Re: History of reborning???

Post by Threads »

Why not take a plain kit with you, with one part with no paint and the limbs with different degrees of painting and then have a finished item with you, so you can take your time explaining about each part, with the mottling etc already done, would mean taking your oven ( if portable ) with you and firing a piece that you work on, I would find that interesting even now. I understand it all started with an ordinary play doll that someone painted etc, but I am sure others will be more helpful.

Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

I remember seeing a doll on eBay years and years ago. It was probably a Berenguer doll.
Someone had touched up its paint with apple valley paint and put a wig on it. It was cute,
but I remember thinking that it was not really anything exciting, just a regualr doll, enhanced.

Soon after, lots of people were trying their hand at enhancing store bought dolls. It would be
interesting to know which artist was first to come up with a blank kit to paint.

Have fun at your presentation!
"Hold your family close, love and protect them and always be kind."

Annette

Post by Annette »

Threads wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:13 am
Why not take a plain kit with you, with one part with no paint and the limbs with different degrees of painting and then have a finished item with you, so you can take your time explaining about each part, with the mottling etc already done, would mean taking your oven ( if portable ) with you and firing a piece that you work on, I would find that interesting even now. I understand it all started with an ordinary play doll that someone painted etc, but I am sure others will be more helpful.

Thankyou for your ideas, which, if I was home, would work beautifully, but I am out of town at my Dad and sister’s place, and only have the two dolls I brought with me. :(
Yes, reborning started with vinyl Berenguer dolls, which we removed all factory paint from, then, before GHSP, used acrylics to paint them. :)
Hugs Annette

LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

Annette it all started with the h20 babies...purple wash... water bladder/balloon for weight...berenguer dolls...just wigs applied, mouths cut open for a paci, and just a bit of blush... I used rose coloured blush...and then glued on eye lashes... I believe this was in early 2000.

LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

Post by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS »

I was one of the very first reborners about 20 years ago. I use to buy dolls at Toys r us, take them apart, strip them of paint, use Rit purple dye on the inside then painted them on the outside with regular oil paints which took forever to dry! I replaced the eyes, gave them a wig and weighted the body to feel like a real baby.
Last edited by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

How I remember those reborns years ago and how far they have come now...…………...AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hugs, Kathy

pattyabe

Post by pattyabe »

http://www.reborndollmart.com/uncoverin ... orn-dolls/#

Check this website out on the history.
Patty Abernathy
Buttons & Bows Reborn Dolls
Muscle Shoals, Alabama

Annette

Post by Annette »

Thankyou all for your input. I’ll use the information on Saturday. Don’t want to bore them though. Hopefully the hour will go fast. My sister has a couple of my dolls too, and Mum’s, so I’m taking those with me, for comparison. My “technique” has changed a lot since I made those ones. :)
Hugs Annette

cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I am 79 and so have friends etc. in senior facilities. If you only have an hour I would suggest go short on the history and how to and just let them enjoy holding the dolls. Many is senior facilities will not be interested in a lot of talk but they will remember the dolls. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.

Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

I remember when reborning first come on the scene. The only dolls around back then was Berenguer dolls. I still have a hair tutorial somewhere in all my "junk" and they suggested drilling holes in a circle and gluing hair in the holes. It looked about like you can imagine. LOL! I'm like Ruth and remember the purple dye on the inside. If you weren't too careful you ended up with a doll that looked beaten and bruised. To say we have come a long way baby is an understatement.
Last edited by Sandis Doll House on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

I started in 2002. With the dye and oil paints. My first baby, rooted with a size 36 rooting needle and roving mohair, had a giant mop of spiky hair and a decidedly purple cast. He ended up being my first, second, and third attempt as I kept stripping him down and redoing. Haha! Those were the days!

Actually, I think reborning was derived from the art of repainting fashion dolls and that goes quite a ways back.
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies

Annette

Post by Annette »

cookielover wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:53 am
I am 79 and so have friends etc. in senior facilities. If you only have an hour I would suggest go short on the history and how to and just let them enjoy holding the dolls. Many is senior facilities will not be interested in a lot of talk but they will remember the dolls. JMO Ruth
Thankyou. I agree totally. I don’t want to bore them with too many facts. Just the basics. Most have memory problems, so won’t remember most of what I say anyway. But they sure loved holding the two I took with me last week. :). One lady is 94, and she was only 4lbs when she was born. She told me about a hat her great, great, grandmother crocheted for her, and still had it. She went up to her room to get it (it was all wrapped up in tissue paper). It was so beautiful and delicate with such teeny tiny stitches. She said she’d never known any babies small enough for it to fit, so my sister put it on Luxe, and it fir perfectly. :) It brought tears to the lady’s eyes. It was very touching. I took a photo of her holding Luxe in the hat. :). So, I’m looking for another Luxe kit to make a doll for her so she can put the hat on it. :)
Hugs Annette

Mikki

Post by Mikki »

I remember going to one of my doll shows and walking in I saw a baby that knocked my breath away.
It was an OOAK. gorgeous..but appeared to be made of very fragile clay...not painted really well but showed me new world of dolls
Being part of Dollfan I saw the beginning of Reborning...some Reborners did fantastic jobs even on Berengers..
Then tutorials came out...and next thing ya know..I'm at Toysrus buying Berengers and using purple paint (peeled off) purple dye...hoping they weren't too blue...wigs until rooting...quite addicting and talented artists started to raise the bar of perfection
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W

cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I think the basis of any of our hobbies is first seeing something we really enjoy and like and then trying our hand at it over and over as we perfect it and make it our hobby. Then we take off and fly. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.

Brendas Babies

Post by Brendas Babies »

The first person I ever saw reborning was a lady named China. We used ink pads back then to blush the babies and bought dolly eyelashes. Also wigs. We drilled the noses of the Berenguer dolls and rooted this horrible mohair with a cut off sewing needle. But the wigs were first.
We thought they looked soooo real! If my memory serves me right it was around 1999 or 2000. Long time ago!
Sweet Quinny by Nikki!

BeachBabiesKim

Post by BeachBabiesKim »

My first book I got on learning reborning(I think I still have it somewhere) has a bunch of outdated information(oil paints and such) I think it was written in the early or mid 2000s?? before Genesis became the mainstay. Anyway, even by the time I got my hands on a vinyl doll kit(2011) things had changed so much since that book and the "pioneers" of reborning had paved the way with reborned play dolls. Kudos to anyone from that time period that started before we had all these delicious kits to paint and wonderful supplies to paint with!

Pebby

Post by Pebby »

Barbara L. wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 am
I remember seeing a doll on eBay years and years ago. It was probably a Berenguer doll.
Someone had touched up its paint with apple valley paint and put a wig on it. It was cute,
but I remember thinking that it was not really anything exciting, just a regualr doll, enhanced.

Soon after, lots of people were trying their hand at enhancing store bought dolls. It would be
interesting to know which artist was first to come up with a blank kit to paint.

Have fun at your presentation!

I know of one lady who started it , her name is Joyce Moreno of .Sweet Dreams Baby Nursery...... I just found out that she passed away in 2015. She was such a wonderful lady.

dmatthews

Post by dmatthews »

I can remember when I started in 2000 with the dye and went down to Hobby Lobby bought some doll hair and rooted that thing as best I could. I made the best CHUCKY you ever did see.LOL

When my husband came in that evening and saw the doll he said "I sure hope you're not going into the doll making business cause that thing is Ugly!"

I told him he needed to have a little faith and before you knew it I was learning the art and selling out at doll shows and still reborning.

Pebby

Post by Pebby »

I started out with the dye too. What a disaster, splashed dye all over the newly painted wall , oh what a mess I had and my hubby also didn't have much faith, he told me I would be lucky if it sold . That was many many years ago.I think that was like 2000 or 2001.

Penelope by Andrea Arcello Penelope by Andrea A ...
2020-08-11 21:18:02SiliconeFor Sale3300.00 USD
I would like to sell my Penelope by Andrea Arcello ...

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.