Question about insurance when shipping internationally?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
LynnW

Question about insurance when shipping internationally?

Post by LynnW » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I had a question about shipping an expensive doll internationally. I'm selling a silicone baby from my personal collection and the lady who wants to purchase her is located in Spain (yes, she is aware of the customs taxes, etc). The doll is valued at several thousand dollars, but USPS will only insure up to $650 and when I went to UPS they told me that if the doll were to be lost, they could only "replace the materials" if it wasn't easy to find an exact replica. Given that these are artist dolls, and this is a sold out edition, it would be difficult to replace the doll. Plus, UPS quoted me $426 to ship with this "insurance", which is outrageous. (USPS quoted me about $110 or so)

How do all of you handle shipping a doll internationally? Do you insure up to the max and then just hope for the best?

I'm feeling really nervous about the transaction and not sure what to do... :dunno: the lady seems nice, but I don't know that she's very active in the doll community (she watches my YouTube channel).

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
:)
Lynn
On YouTube: Little Foot Nursery - youtube.com/c/LittleFootNursery
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlefootnursery1/

LindaBforbabies

Re: Question about insurance when shipping internationally?

Post by LindaBforbabies » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Personally I would not ship to Spain...
or take the chance on shipping this doll without full insurance..
Signature confirmation...lots of photographs...any where else...
Hugs Linda!!!

LynnW

Post by LynnW » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you, Linda. I appreciate your input. Hugs! :heart:

judyismyname

Post by judyismyname » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:57 am

It really does get difficult when selling dolls on the open market so to speak. Sales have been hard to come by and when you get a buyer that is international it makes it a real pick and choose decision unfortunately. A lot of times these buyers ask you to devalue the doll due to customs due upon receipt. If the package is lost, the post office/ carrier will only cover the value that was stated. If you insure for the full amount, that does not work for the buyer as far as customs due amount, but certainly covers loss. Your choices here are limited to losing the sale, telling the buyer that you will only devalue the doll uninsured, her responsibility, with payment received as friends and family. This covers you in the event the package is lost.

It just depends on how you feel about it.

Good luck

:hug:

LynnW

Post by LynnW » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks, Judy! I had no idea selling internationally would be this complicated! I went to the buyer with the option of de-valuing the doll for customs/insurance purposes but switching payment to friends and family and she wasn't willing to take the risk so we ended up canceling the transaction. Oh well.. it is what it is I guess. :dunno:

judyismyname

Post by judyismyname » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:45 pm

LynnW wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 am
Thanks, Judy! I had no idea selling internationally would be this complicated! I went to the buyer with the option of de-valuing the doll for customs/insurance purposes but switching payment to friends and family and she wasn't willing to take the risk so we ended up canceling the transaction. Oh well.. it is what it is I guess. :dunno:

Aw, Lynn :hug: Its too bad to have to lose the sale but it’s better than to be caught up in a mess of issues later.

Threads

Post by Threads » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:00 am

I would add a further question. If I post something say worth £500 I can get insurance, that means the buyer pays me for the item, , and the Post Office will reimburse me the £500 BUT I have to pay this back to the buyer, so I am out of pocket. How fair is this.

jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:36 am

You still have the money the customer initially paid you so you are not out of pocket.
Threads wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:00 am
I would add a further question. If I post something say worth £500 I can get insurance, that means the buyer pays me for the item, , and the Post Office will reimburse me the £500 BUT I have to pay this back to the buyer, so I am out of pocket. How fair is this.

Threads

Post by Threads » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 am

Dumb and getting worse, of course, it's just that I was asked this question by a friend who said she was out of pocket. She will laugh when I tell her x