New to reborns- overwhelmed!

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
hjungel

New to reborns- overwhelmed!

Post by hjungel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am not able to dig through all of the old comments. So much apologies if this is the billionth post of this type. :-)

I come from the Lee Middleton/Ashton Drake where you just buy a doll on the site and there you go. Anyway, I got lucky with my first reborn, she was gorgeous.. then, I decided to get another and that one needed some work and was not exactly as described. So, I shipped that one off to be reworked on. The person who “redid” my second reborn did a fabulous job - in hindsight, before that doll was “re-reborned” was I probably should have bought a kit and had someone reborn her.

My question is - as a newbie, how do you guys know where to find an artist? How do you know what kinds/kits to get? I find myself sort of winging it. I do have low vision (I am legally blind), so I find myself zooming in to view the artists work, but my vision may have led to my problem with that second reborn (before she was redone). Not to mention artists are not photographers (nor would I expect them to be) and computer monitors all make things look different. No one in my family or friends collect dolls.

I do not want a large collection, but a variety (like well, art) of styles. I find looking for reborns a bit overwhelming and am really not sure where to go to. I am not one to resell the dolls and would rather not find myself in a situation where I do not like the doll and have to resell it. I loathe eBay, so that is out of the question. Any tips would be great!

-Heidi
-Heidi

(Maizie by Andrea Arcello)

Dion

Re: New to reborns- overwhelmed!

Post by Dion » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 pm

:D Hello Heidi,
I think it is very hard, but there is a thread at the top of the General Dolly Discussions that's called, "Awesome Artists I Would Order a Custom from Again". That might be a great place to look for someone to do a kit for you. You can look at their work and see who fits with your style the best. As far as the actual kits, there are SO many out there that you could choose from and there is certainly something for everyone. I hope that you find your perfect baby! The hunt can be a lot of fun, too. :toast:

:foryou: Hugs and Blessings, Dion

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Thank you so much, Dion! Funny thing is I started with kits and found myself liking old kits (like Maizie, for example) that were no longer sold. I will say the hunt is definitely a fun one, too... so no complaints there!
-Heidi

Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm

It's always fun to look! There are so many beautiful babies out there.I started collecting in the 90's with the same dolls that you mentioned.
I find reborns so much more realistic as time goes on. Seeing some of the older LM's reborn is always fun, too!
There are so many kits to chose from, there is always something to find new. Have fun with your collecting.
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:10 pm

So true, Barbydoll - And I love the textures, the feels of those vinyls. I have two Lee Middletons that I will never part with and it does indeed boil down to the realism... I had stopped collecting for years and when jumping back in found 1. Lee Middleton is no longer in business and 2. Holy cow- these realistic reborns are stunning! and the rest is history. :-P
-Heidi

lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:02 am

Hi Heidi!!! I didnt know you were on here <3 I am so happy that you like the work I did on your baby. You can call me anytime and I will be happy to chat with you and answer your questions .
Debra C. Jadick
Lasting Memories Reborn Nursery
https://www.lastingmemoriesrebornnursery.net
Available for Adoption

Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 am

Hi Heidi! Welcome to DollFan!

This is a great topic. I’ll be reading along.

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Hey Debra! LOL- yes, I just joined. I found a youtube video that mentioned this site... Little feet /little foot reborn nursery - something like that? It was the channel that has that gorgeous Maizie... Made me think of an avenue as a collector, particularly since I am not a youtuber.
Thank you for your support (guys, she did that hair on my gorgeous Arya - fantastic!), Debra.
Thank you, Tracy, for your welcome! Nice to see so many fellow collectors like myself here.
-Heidi

Jasmin

Post by Jasmin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Welcome to Doll Fan Heidi ! :hi ya:
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you, Jasmine! This is definitely the place to be for doll collectors, for sure!
-Heidi

Threads

Post by Threads » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 am

Hi welcome to Doll Fan Heidi, if you can it would be a good idea to attend a doll show where you can walk round and see them in the flesh so to speak, they come in all prices and sizes.

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 am

That is a great idea! I actually did that back in the late 90s with my then boyfriend (such a supportive guy- lol). I remember thinking ones I thought were great online- were not such much in person. Thank you for that suggestion!
-Heidi

tuckerk

Post by tuckerk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Welcome to our wonderful Dolly World...…………….you will be amazed by all the beautiful babies here...……..Hugs, Kathy