Am I being unreasonable?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
hjungel

Am I being unreasonable?

Post by hjungel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:09 am

I have ordered custom doll back in December 2018 (long before joining doll fan) and when I ordered a custom doll, there was a 4-6 month wait, which I was like "Okay, a bit long, but at least I know 6 months). Fast forward to this weekend- I had not heard any updates, nothing from the artist. So, I emailed this artist about status. All I got was "she is coming along nicely (no photo) and will be reading by end of next month. What - end of NEXT month? That is 8 months and why could they not just email me saying you are running behind. This artist is not on social media so I have not even seen anything.

I had a different custom doll ordered and that artist's communication was night and day compared to this one- sure, she was running a bit behind, but I got notified and progress photos. THAT, I was perfectly okay with. Not to mention the wait time was 8 weeks.

So, to the "8 month" artist, I am requesting a refund. No communication and no progress photo tells me you have not even started on it and you could be just taking my money. Is this normal for that? Communication is key for me in business. Am I being unreasonable to request such a refund?

Is this common for customs?
-Heidi

jubileejulie

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Post by jubileejulie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 am

No, you are not being unreasonable.

Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:14 am

No, you are not being unreasonable. I had the same thing happen with Toni Dawson. I lost my money because it was too late to file with PP. Toni did this to several ladies. Continue to demand a refund. Don't give up.

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 am

8 months is insane. Especially given you have received no progress photos. I would ask for my money back. Also it would be helpful to know who the artist is so someone else doesn't fall into the same trap.
Hugs,
Nadia

LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 am

Nope not unreasonable...request a refund, and please tell us who it is...we need to know so
we can avoid her. Let us know how you make out...

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:13 am

Will send you both PMs. I am so afraid of putting this out as I am afraid it will stir up drama or cause some back lash.

However, I will tell you it is NOT Studios of Renee Mack and NOT Heavenly Butterflies Nursery- they both have been fabulous to work with! I am glad to know it is not unreasonable. To be honest, I now think 6 months is absurd and it is past the piont of filing with Paypal. Communication is such key -- even if it is to share it on social media ("Hey all, I am running a bit behind on customs at the moment- email me if you have questions"). Perfectly okay with that.

My lesson learned is to only work with ones I trust - like the ones I just mentioned and never accept 6 months. Live and Learn I guess.

This is such a delicate business as I have never been in a collection in which there are both artists AND collectors that can get screwed. Or, perhaps I am showing my age. LOL

Thank you all for your support and verifying that I am not being unreasonable.
-Heidi

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am

being a reborn artist I would never have even taken a dime of someone's money if my wait time was this long...

jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 am

Are you sure 6 months is too long to file with paypal? I would check with them, I thought it was longer now. Also, if you paid with a credit card through paypal, you can file with your credit card company.

georgeanne

Post by georgeanne » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

You are not being unreasonable. That is absurd that an artist would accept money when the wait time is so long. I see Julie has posted so I would do as she suggests since I don't know for sure Paypal's current policy, but to even suggest or accept someone's money with such a long wait time is very wrong to me.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland

Dion

Post by Dion » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:29 pm

:heart: Most of us would be willing to wait longer IF there was tangible evidence that the doll was in progress. How hard is it to take a few photos and send you a few PMs? Communication is EVERYTHING. I am so sorry that your custom dream baby has turned into such a mess. Keep after the artist for a refund. That is the least she could do for you. Best of luck.

:foryou: Hugs, Dion

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Exactly! Communication. I am going to give it to the end of the week and if I do not see a refund, look into Paypal or my credit card. Thanks guys.
This is also giving me a bit of a push (lemons out of lemonade, right?). Maybe paint my own baby? I am legally blind, so I am a bit nervous about this- but I have no intentions of selling it. However, I was a bit of an art major (paints, charcoal) before my vision went bad. I currently have some vision- I see about as much as the end of a straw. Maybe with a little patience, time, and a huge magnifying glass, I can make my own. Again, I am thinking this negative situation could end up being a positive one in the end.
-Heidi

erin1958

Post by erin1958 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I definitely think you should call PayPal on the phone. I’ve done that a few times and they’ve always been so very helpful to me. They may have suggestions you’ve not thought of. I’d keep emailing this person daily too. Become her nightmare until you get some satisfaction.
I agree that after it’s all over, I think you should make her name public. We must look out for each other in these cases of scammers.
Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DOLLY DAY!!
Hugs, Erin

•Darling Serenity by LLE - FOR SALE•

LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks for emailing me... this does not come as a surprise to me at all.

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:28 am

Thanks on the PayPal tips! I did get a response from the artist that she could get it done by end of month if I was okay (which too late at this point). I declined. Because now I would be left wondering if I am going to get what I paid for at that point if you bump it up. I will take everyone's advice.
With all of this, my experience on my Arya (who is now fine), I am actually thinkng of starting a new thread for "newbie" reborn collectors as I have learned a lot in this short time and wished I had one spot to refer to. It is so different than just collecting manufactured dolls.
Again I appreciate everyone's feedback!
-Heidi

tammiedolz4u

Post by tammiedolz4u » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 pm

I’m so sorry this has happened to you I sympathize with you. I once waited eleven months (past the agreed upon time) for a well known artist to complete a custom reborn for me after paying for the doll in full. Communication was always initiated by me. When I demanded progress pictures, I saw that she had only started the doll. I requested a refund. Fortunately, the artist agreed to issue a refund. And for this reason I’ve decided not to release her name. Hopefully, you and the artist can come to an amicable solution. Wish you well.

tysonsnan

Post by tysonsnan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:11 am

Is it Bushel and pecks.

safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 am

Those of us who have been around for a while will probably be able to make a good guess at who the artist is unfortunately!!!!!!! I hope you get your money back or a good quality doll if you still want that. It's tough when you are relatively new to ask the reliability question about popular artists cos you may get bashed and most of us have learned the hard way unfortunately.

I gave up doing custom knitting for collectors because of all the anxieties it was causing me trying to meet deadlines and being asked to make very complex stuff and people not wanting to pay the price for my skill and time so it can cut both ways. I still do the odd custom for people I have worked with before but just knit as and when I can nowadays. The hobby has changed so much since I started tbf.

Keep us up to date with how this gets resolved if you can.

Jo in the UK

Annette

Post by Annette » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 am

Such a shame. :( We get our hopes up, and trust that whomever is making our dream baby, is honest, and will get them to us in a timely manner.
You are not, and have not been, unreasonable in your expectations!
I hope that you can get a refund.
Please message me the name of this person. Thankyou.
Hugs Annette

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm

The good news in all of this is that I was able to work the refund out with the artist rather than fighting through Paypal. The artist and I worked out a refund payment plan and the first installment, she made good on, so we are good there. Sad that it has to come to this, but I have definitely learned from this and perhaps in some ways, I am still learning!
-Heidi

LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:08 pm

That is so good to hear that you can work this out... now it’s just between you and the artist..
No more needs to be said... good for you! Hugs

Publish modules to the "offcanvas" position.