Tips as a new reborn collector

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
hjungel

Tips as a new reborn collector

Post by hjungel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:18 pm

I have learned a lot in my short time of collecting reborn dolls and in some ways still learning. Many of these tips I have learned from many of you on this forum. I thought I would post this sort of a one-stop place for newbies to look. It can be overwhelming with YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, heck- even Google. I figured I can add to this as others have tips that may different from mine or I did not think of. So, here we go. Much apologies on the formatting, but this text editor is horrible (and I am a software engineer!)

Tips for newbies
  • It is so different than purchasing manufactured dolls. If it is your first, take your time! While exciting, it can be costly. Choose wisely.
  • Learn artists, painting styles.
  • - As we all have different tastes on dolls, artists have different styles
  • - Some artists have wonderful reputation in the community, others not so much.
  • Not to sound pessimistic, but there are scammer sellers, scammer artists AND scammer buyers. The key is research.
  • If you do not know the person or artist, ask for a safety photo.
  • - This is a photo with the seller’s name and today’s date with the doll.
  • In many cases, you get what you pay for. If price is too good to be true, it probably isn’t.
  • Remember there are always new babies made every day by great artists so when you buy a doll --- make sure you love it for you - - since it may be with you for a long time.
  • - Selling a doll on the secondary market is not all that easy.... but buying can be.
  • - Like used cars, dolls often decrease in value once you "drive it off the lot"
  • For your first, start with a pre-painted reborn to get a feel for what you like.
  • - There are also many quality second-hand dolls you can get at a good price
  • - Over time, your tastes will always change and evolve.
  • When moving to customs, ask a lot of questions. A LOT. But be flexible.
  • - Remember, it will never come out exactly what you have in your head- artists cannot read your mind.
  • Get photos of the doll in natural lighting. With filters, professional lenses, you just never know.
  • Always keep supplies on hand- polyfill, cable ties, glass beads, stockings to hold the beads.
  • - The artist will weight based on their preferences- which is okay. You will find removing a doll head is quite easy.
  • - If purchasing internationally, they may not be weighted due to keeping costs down for both you and the seller.
  • Some things changed be added later and should not be a deal breaker(magnet, more/less weight, more less polyfill)
  • Not all dolls have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA)- for example, many bountiful babies do not come with CoAs.
  • If you are on social media, start building a social media profile and slowly start making connections.
  • - Keep in mind, people have different tastes that you do and that is okay
  • - Keep your mother's mantra in your head- "If you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"
  • - We are all in this for a common interest- love of dolls.
  • If you are not on social media, research the internet, read forums.
  • Learn the differences between:
  • - Silicone and vinyl
  • - Acronyms (LLE, COA, SOLE, GHS, oh my!). LLE is NOT Limited Limited Addition (Laura Lee Eagles) and SOLE (Sold out Limited Edition) does not mean the only one :D
  • - Air Dry versus Genesis Heat Set
Hope this helps people! With that I want to thank each and everyone one of your for your support and kindness as I learn and grow with this hobby!

We all come from different walks of life and have a common bond- dolls! :baby:
Last edited by hjungel on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

safcfootienut_Jo

Re: Tips as a new reborn collector

Post by safcfootienut_Jo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:47 am

Some good tips here.....think we have all had to learn something in this hobby the hard way so this might save future collectors the pain.

Jo in the UK

Debbie@TNGUN

Post by Debbie@TNGUN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am

I love this! Nicely said, with compassion and grace, and so helpful to the new collector, and even new artist.

Thank you!
Debbie
They Never Grow Up Nursery
Where babies are babies...Forever!

http://www.theynevergrowupnursery.com

BLOG: http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot.com

MOHAIR and LDC Color Guides: http://TheyNeverGrowUpNursery.artfire.com

LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 am

Great job for helping people buying reborn dolls.. I read the entire post, and after 20 years or so of buying dolls.. you pretty much covered everything...

I might just add get very clear pictures of your doll in natural light...

Good luck with your future purchases..

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 pm

LindaBforbabies wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 am
I might just add get very clear pictures of your doll in natural light...
That's actually a good one- I wish I had that with Arya v. 1.0
-Heidi

Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Great advice!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"

tammiedolz4u

Post by tammiedolz4u » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 pm

If only I had such a reference when I began. I think 🤔 this will prove to be helpful for a newbie. Good idea.

cookielover

Post by cookielover » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:34 am

Remember there are always new babies made every day by great artists so when you buy a doll --- make sure you love it for you - - since it may be with you for a long time. Selling a doll on the secondary market is not all that easy.... but buying can be. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:07 pm

So true, Ruth! Not to mention they are like cars, the minute you "drive it off the lot" it decreases in value. ;-) So, they must love it. I will add that to the list!
-Heidi