My first attempt at painting a reborn- which kit should I get?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
hjungel

My first attempt at painting a reborn- which kit should I get?

Post by hjungel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 pm

So, I decided to reborn my first doll! It is a bit gutsy, I know. As many of you know, I am legally blind but have some vision left. I plan to use a magnifier while I paint him/her. I started out as an art major before my vision went bad (and I also no viable future in it for me). So, I have been itching to get started on this.

So, my plan is to get a starter kit and video, (and some scrap limbs) from Macpherson’s. However, I want to start with a different doll that the packages that have dolls included. My goal is work up to making my own 2nd Saskia (and maybe one for my mother).

However, back to reality. :-) I first want to start with a sleeping doll. I am not a huge fan of bountiful babies, but have not seen them all. Any suggestions on a good sleeping starter doll? I am well aware they will look like the prototype, so I have been focusing on the blank kit to avoid high expectations. I was thinking of a newborn size, so I could also practice some light rooting.

As always, your tips and suggestions have been so greatly appreciated!
-Heidi
-Heidi

georgeanne

Re: My first attempt at painting a reborn- which kit should I get?

Post by georgeanne » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:29 pm

Are you saying that you are going to buy a kit that has all the supplies including a doll kit, but you want to get a different kit to reborn instead of the one provided in the kit? Sorry, just want to be clear on what you mean.

I personally like a lot of Bountiful Baby kits, both awake and sleeping. I have bought BB kits, and artists kits, but I only reborn for myself. I don't buy kits from China that are knockoffs, I have no idea what toxins they mix with the vinyl. Anyway, I also make sure the kits are phthalate free which the greatest majority of them are regulated and the sculptors and suppliers ensure that they are free of phthalate. I would personally and did start out with less expensive kits so in case I messed up or hated reborning I wouldn't have invested vast amounts of money. I have to admit I did ruin a couple in the beginning beyond help and got rid of them so I was glad I didn't pay much for them in kit form.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Very good points, georgeanne! Much apologies for my lack of clarity. But yes, I was thinking of getting kit that has all the supplies, but just use a different doll. I actually went back into bountiful babies and it actually looks like their starter is much nicer and cheaper- and it does not include the doll anyway. But again, very valid point on getting a less expensive kit! I will do just that. Thank you!

I definitely do not want to go to some unknown supplier as I want an authentic sculpt and kit.. not a knock off- that benefits no one.
-Heidi

georgeanne

Post by georgeanne » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:43 pm

hjungel wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Very good points, georgeanne! Much apologies for my lack of clarity. But yes, I was thinking of getting kit that has all the supplies, but just use a different doll. I actually went back into bountiful babies and it actually looks like their starter is much nicer and cheaper- and it does not include the doll anyway. But again, very valid point on getting a less expensive kit! I will do just that. Thank you!

I definitely do not want to go to some unknown supplier as I want an authentic sculpt and kit.. not a knock off- that benefits no one.
Glad I could give you some tips. When I think back on the kits I ruined, and the price I paid I could kick myself for not having more experience reborning before I spent that much money on each kit. I kept them around for a while, but it made me sick looking at them, but I learned a lot of lessons from my mistakes so while it cost a lot to learn the hard way I at least learned something from my monumental mess-ups. One was when trying to make a closed eyed kit have open eyes, make sure you have very steady hands because if not you will gouge the vinyl beyond repair. The other valuable lesson was not to apply too much paint on each layer, but to build the skintone up slowly or your doll will look like a chalk doll from the fair. When I use Genesis paints I invested in a NuWave oven so I could bake the parts outside so I didn't breathe in the fumes. Also put it away from where my pets are so I didn't make them sick as well. I don't reborn much now because I am out of room to display them and I will never make them to sell. Too much of a nightmare for the artists in my observations over the years, although I did start reborning to make them to sell, but for me, I learned quickly by seeing the sellers vilified there was no way I wanted to go through that.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts

Annette

Post by Annette » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Heidi, I may have some odd limbs you can practice on.......I’ll check and get back to you. If you pay the shipping, you can have them. ;)
Hugs Annette

hjungel

Post by hjungel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 am

Annette wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm
Heidi, I may have some odd limbs you can practice on.......I’ll check and get back to you. If you pay the shipping, you can have them. ;)
That would be great! Definitely would want to practice on body parts first. LOL
-Heidi

Annette

Post by Annette » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 am

hjungel wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 am
Annette wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm
That would be great! Definitely would want to practice on body parts first. LOL
I’ll have a look. Message me your mailing address, and I’ll see what I have. ;)
Hugs Annette

Publish modules to the "offcanvas" position.