Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Post Reply
Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am

I got this kit years ago, before all these Chinese knock-offs started showing up. I bought it from someone on here, in good faith.
I’m pretty sure it IS an illegal copy, because it kind of looks like Ashton Drake’s Sugar, but wanted to make sure.
It has GF 7031 and some other writing on the flanges, but I can’t read it, and I think 2010. But again, can’t be sure. I’ll post a photo in a few minutes.
If it is an illegal copy, it’s going in the garbage!!

Which brings me to my next question......I have a box full of vinyl parts of dolls that had the heads that went all lumpy and collapsed and weird years ago.......remember the Sheila Michaels ones from Ashton Drake I think? Where can I dispose of them? I don’t want to put them in recycling and scare someone!
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here's her photo......
Image
Image
Last edited by Annette on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

LindaBforbabies
Posts: 16385
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:32 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Feedback: 250|2|0

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off?

Post by LindaBforbabies » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am

Can they be recycled..in a plastic bag of course!

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Photo added.
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off?

Post by Annette » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:34 pm

LindaBforbabies wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am
Can they be recycled..in a plastic bag of course!
Not sure. I'd hate for anyone to come across them in the garbage. Especially the one I cut right down the middle of her face, so I could get the eyes out!! :shock: :lol:
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 35966
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona
Feedback: 167|0|0

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by georgeanne » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Two artists who came to mind when I saw the kit are Cheryl Webber and the other artist is oh piffle she is such a sweetheart and I can even see her face in my mind, but as soon as I tried to type her name it has eluded me. I'll keep thinking and post her name when it comes to me. I honestly don't know if it's a knock-off to be honest.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:16 pm

georgeanne wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:41 pm
Two artists who came to mind when I saw the kit are Cheryl Webber and the other artist is oh piffle she is such a sweetheart and I can even see her face in my mind, but as soon as I tried to type her name it has eluded me. I'll keep thinking and post her name when it comes to me. I honestly don't know if it's a knock-off to be honest.

Lol.....thanks anyway dear. :hug: If it isn’t a knock-off, I’d like to paint her for the Christmas show. Oh, and she kinda smells like the Ashton Drake vinyls....kind of perfumey, if you know what I mean. The head kind of looks like Sugar by them. But the limbs don’t. But then, I can’t remember what her limbs looked like. :(. I thought at first, that it was Sugar with different limbs, but I’m darned if I can remember. It’s been so long since I bought her, and don’t remember who from. :(
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 35966
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona
Feedback: 167|0|0

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by georgeanne » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 pm

I remembered the artist name. It's Jenn Sussman-Price. She is such a nice person. I am not sure if she produced any kits in vinyl though, I have had and wish I'd kept a silicone kit that I painted that was adorable.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Not sure if Jenn did any vinyls.

I have ordered a sample kit of air dry paints from Macpherson’s, so may try them out on this kit. Don’t want to cook her, just in case she’s an illegal! Never know what kind of chemicals they put in their dolls. :shock:
Then, she’ll go in the garbage if she IS an illegal.
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 35966
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona
Feedback: 167|0|0

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by georgeanne » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 am

I think it might be a Gerlinde Feser kit. I thought I found the kit, but the one I found by her has open eyes, but I still think it is by Gerlinda Feser.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
BeachBabiesKim
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 pm
Feedback: 0|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by BeachBabiesKim » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 am

Its known as dk-5. I reborned this kit back in 2011-12 I think. I have one at home. These original dk kits are supposed to be ok. Lillian trigg and Dolls by Sandie used to carry them. Supposedly these are all from Ashton Drake, dolls like DK-1, which is AD Sleeping Diana. I've tried to get ahold of AD a couple of times to have them confirm they legally sold the rights to reproduce but they've never answered me. Basically since these kits are or were sold by legit dealers I have been under the assumption they are ok to reborn. They are, however, Chinese kits so there's always a chance they are made with less than desirable chemicals.
Image

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:46 am

BeachBabiesKim wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 am
Its known as dk-5. I reborned this kit back in 2011-12 I think. I have one at home. These original dk kits are supposed to be ok. Lillian trigg and Dolls by Sandie used to carry them. Supposedly these are all from Ashton Drake, dolls like DK-1, which is AD Sleeping Diana. I've tried to get ahold of AD a couple of times to have them confirm they legally sold the rights to reproduce but they've never answered me. Basically since these kits are or were sold by legit dealers I have been under the assumption they are ok to reborn. They are, however, Chinese kits so there's always a chance they are made with less than desirable chemicals.

Thankyou, Kim. I guess I’ll go ahead and paint her with the air dry paint, just in case. :)
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

User avatar
georgeanne
Posts: 35966
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Arizona
Feedback: 167|0|0

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by georgeanne » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Check this out Annette, I think this is that kit and DollsbySandie still has it selling it as a complete reborning package:

https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php ... il&p=10576
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 pm

georgeanne wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Check this out Annette, I think this is that kit and DollsbySandie still has it selling it as a complete reborning package:

https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php ... il&p=10576
Thanks sweetie.
The limbs are the same, but the face is different. I'll paint her with air dry, and see how that goes. :)
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

User avatar
Jennifer Sussmann
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 pm
Feedback: 23|0|0

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Jennifer Sussmann » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Not mine. But cute! I’ve never done vinyls.
Jennifer Sussmann-Price/Tiny Tot Collectables

Annette
Posts: 19090
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Feedback: 324|0|0
Contact:

Re: Is this a Chinese knock-off? Photo added.

Post by Annette » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Jennifer Sussmann wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:15 pm
Not mine. But cute! I’ve never done vinyls.

Didn’t think you had, Jennifer. :)
Hugs Annette
******************
Image
*********************

Post Reply