How?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Barbara L.

How?

Post by Barbara L. »

How can I generate interest in the dolls and clothes I have for sale?

After a very short time, they are not able to be bumped up, even if someone makes a nice comment.
My Rose is a very good example of that. She gets attention, but is not bumped up by it.
The other dolls and clothes I have listed have no interest.
This is not a new problem, I have noticed it for awhile and I think we are losing members because of it too.

I have enjoyed this Doll-Fan for years and would much rather buy and sell on here than Facebook where there are so much uncertainty and eBay which is very expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Where are you buying and selling your dolls and related items?
Help a girl out, please. I am very frustrated.
"Hold your family close, love and protect them and always be kind."
Klynn17

Re: How?

Post by Klynn17 »

I've been trying to sell a doll on here for a while (a reborn.) I think silicones are more popular as my silicone sold pretty quick.

I started collecting in 2016 so I'm fairly new, but I love Doll Fan and I don't have Facebook so I check here regularly and love seeing all the dolls on here. I wish the site was more active as well. I feel people haven't been able to get to know me because there just isn't much conversation but I still come here daily because I love all the people in here especially the long time collectors as they have so much advice and wisdom.

I wish I could help you out. I would suggest maybe a "lot" deal on the clothing instead of one piece at a time. Other than that I'm useless.

Hugs
Kirstin
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I think you can ask someone to bump something up for you, I would be happy to do it. I believe it is 30 days before something will be deleted if it doesn't sell. Again I think if you just ask someone to even comment it will keep it up past that 30 days.

I feel like we initially lost a lot of members when there was a tiff between two reborning factions for whatever reason. I miss so many reborners that decided not to belong to DF after their disagreements. Now, it seems a lot of people are on FB which I will be leaving soon but I have never bought anything from someone on FB myself. I feel safer buying things here on DF.

My problem is I would have to buy a bigger house if I bought any more dolls and as far as clothing is concerned I look and want, but the devil on my left shoulder hasn't won out over the Angel on my Right who stops me from having to become a doll/baby clothing store. I know for a fact that I have baby clothes packed away that I haven't seen in 8 years that's not including the endless amounts of outfits I have in my antique wardrobe that are clearly visible.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
tovisbabies

Post by tovisbabies »

It seems lately nothing sells unless it's super cheap!

Tovi
Inspired_Rebecca

Post by Inspired_Rebecca »

I just went through doll clothes and am sending some to good will and will be trying to sell some others myself. I’m wondering if eBay or another site like that may be better!

I’ve had a doll for sale on here and had one comment, but nothing else. Not sure where it may be best to sell, but I’d rather sell here on Dollfan rather than Facebook.
Rebecca
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

Thank you for all your kind comments. I understand that the dolls and items I am selling might not be what someone is looking for, I just was hoping to find homes here.
I think Doll-Fan is a wonderful forum and good people are on here.
Rose is already on eBay. I will list the other dolls there and maybe the clothes too.

To everyone: Thank you! :foryou:
Klynn17

Post by Klynn17 »

I just hate Ebay now. Where I live they charge an extra 8% tax on top of the winning bid which makes things just too expensive to buy on there.

What reborns are you selling? I'm looking for a high quality Saskia, and an open eyed newborn but I'm so picky.
suebabygirl

Post by suebabygirl »

I love doll-fan and have been here for years and years. I did notice that interest and membership went down when the site was changed a while back. The first issue is that post vanish after 30 days.. why is that and why can't Steve revert to how it use to be? You cannot search for past posting either and I use to do that a lot just to see pricing, pictures and opinions on all sorts of old posts.

I personally feel like Steve has not listened to these suggestions or maybe is unaware of them. The other long standing issue is the difficulty with posting pictures. We have to have a photo hosting site. We should be able to just click and download from our homepage onto doll-fan just like you do with Ebay and every other site. I would really appreciate it if Steve could look into these issues.

I think with regards to clothing there may still be quite a bit of interest in hand made, hand knit items. The market is flooded with the regular baby items you can get cheaply at T.J. Maxx and other stores but the specialty items seem to evoke interest. Personally, I am always looking for hand knits, Spanish Brand clothing and speciality home made items.

I love doll-fan. People here are great and the dolls are wonderful. We just need to get it back to looking more interesting and user friendly with regards to how this site operates.
Klynn17

Post by Klynn17 »

suebabygirl wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:17 pm I love doll-fan and have been here for years and years. I did notice that interest and membership went down when the site was changed a while back. The first issue is that post vanish after 30 days.. why is that and why can't Steve revert to how it use to be? You cannot search for past posting either and I use to do that a lot just to see pricing, pictures and opinions on all sorts of old posts.

I personally feel like Steve has not listened to these suggestions or maybe is unaware of them. The other long standing issue is the difficulty with posting pictures. We have to have a photo hosting site. We should be able to just click and download from our homepage onto doll-fan just like you do with Ebay and every other site. I would really appreciate it if Steve could look into these issues.

I think with regards to clothing there may still be quite a bit of interest in hand made, hand knit items. The market is flooded with the regular baby items you can get cheaply at T.J. Maxx and other stores but the specialty items seem to evoke interest. Personally, I am always looking for hand knits, Spanish Brand clothing and speciality home made items.

I love doll-fan. People here are great and the dolls are wonderful. We just need to get it back to looking more interesting and user friendly with regards to how this site operates.

I agree with all of this! I can't even find many dolls for sale and they are removed very quickly. Also the pictures... so aggravating! Its so hard to post. This site is not very user friendly. I remember when I first joined I needed so much help! Many new people may not stick around because Facebook is so much easier but for those that don't have FB this is all we have.
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

I agree with you too. I just post my pictures straight from my computer, but they have to be within certain size limits and I can only post 5 at a time.
Maybe we need to come up with a letter to Steve asking for some reasonable changes and then we can add out names and send it to him?
Thank you so much for your support. ladies! Just having that has made me feel so much better.
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

Klynn, I am selling a full body sleeping silicone, Rose by Evelina Wosnjuk and a partial silicone, Amelia by Ulrike Gall. I don't have Saskia or I would sell her too! :lol:
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

The site really frustrates me for all of the above -- but mainly because I think the fun has gone out of it and it now functions more as a sales site -- I don't mind that - heaven knows I have lots I could/should sell. What I am saying is that the fun of collecting seems to have disappeared. I miss the discussions etc That may be a function of doll collecting not as popular any longer. I doubt I will remain a member after October. I shall see. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
kd

Post by kd »

I have been on DF forever. I feel it is safer to have a doll transaction with DF members, than people on FB.

There are so many silicone dolls, now, that when one is for sale, it could possibly be for sale, for a long time.
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

You are right, and not everyone likes the same kind of doll, so it might be awhile which is why I am disappointed that our posts get deleted.
With all the scammers and knock-off dolls, I really do not want to buy off Facebook and I am worried about getting scammed if I try to sell an expensive doll on Facebook.
Which takes me back to eBay... :?
suebabygirl

Post by suebabygirl »

I have never had one issue with buying or selling a doll here on doll-fan. Everyone is super nice and honest.

I agree that the fun of doll collecting seems to be a fading art. That makes me so sad because it has given me so many years of enjoyment. I think the only popular dolls are full body silicones and while they are very beautiful, what happened to making OOAKs? that was such a wonderful thing for all the ladies to share here. There was a time when everyone tried sculpting. And the resins were wonderful also. No one wants to be an OOAK or a resin and most people don't even know what they are. Thankfully, reborns still do very well. I don't know many people that collect Alexanders, Antique or composition dolls any more. It's a real pity because they are such a treasure.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

If you want to find out what is popular- go to the shopgoodwill.com and look at dolls. There are tons of Alexanders in boxes and new dolls too -- interesting site. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I love Doll-Fan! Have been a member for many years. When I lost my lap top and went to a tablet, I quit getting on her very often as it is so frustrating to type letter by letter and so small to try to see things on a tablet rather than a monitor. I have always felt safer buying here. Yes, there has been a lot of drama from time to time, but I try not to get involved in others disagreements and just enjoy the forum. Also since I hac=ve retired, I have slowed down in my buying unless I can do a layaway. I, too, enjoy looking at all the pictures. I do miss the dolly discussions, though, too! I have trouble posting pictures from my tablet.
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Never thought about what Barby said, "When I lost my lap top and went to a tablet, I quit getting on here very often as it is so frustrating to type letter by letter and so small to try to see things on a tablet rather than a monitor."

That might just part of the problem here on DF -- as we change devices to communicate sometimes it just becomes too hard to do on a tablet or an iPhone or other phone.

I actually have a big computer and also an iPhone. I use the iPhone as a phone and to email and messaging - but all the "important stuff" I do on my big computer. They are connected in the cloud - but I actually use them for different things. Never thought of how the loss of a big computer would affect DF. Ruth
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

We are getting ready to move to Florida and I have to drastically cut down my collection. The thought of it is overwhelming. I have to sell my last Helland ooak and several of my reborns. I also have so many high end baby clothes including a couple Sally knits and a couple Blue Fairy sets.

I find it hard to sell pricey clothes especially on here as people mostly want great bargains. I absolutely hate dealing with ebay and the Facebook groups are no better. And it is so time consuming to take photos of everything that I just keep putting it off. But will really need to start little by little I guess.
Hugs,
Nadia

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.