Shipping costs through the roof! Your thoughts?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Annette

Shipping costs through the roof! Your thoughts?

Post by Annette »

What are your thoughts on shipping costs lately, and where do you buy from? Do you buy online? Local stores? EBay?

Hadn’t been on EBay for a while, but just took a look at some baby sleepers. Holy smokes! Shipping for a sleeper....$33.64U.S.! Really? Mind you, that’s from the U.K. to Canada, but still.......😳. I used to get baby clothes from U.K. and U.S., in one of those grey plastic bag things for about $6-8.
International shipping costs are getting ridiculously high. Personally, it limits me to buying from inside the country, but I can’t find what I want here. 😕. Being on a fixed income doesn’t give me much option either.
Recently found Poshmark.ca, which, even on there, shipping is $13.50 per item, and sometimes with a discount, $9.99. But that’s Canadian funds. I have found a few items on there, but it can become TOO handy! Lol.

So, your thoughts on shipping, on dolls, doll related items, baby clothes?

On that note, what are your recommended shipping companies/couriers, for a higher end doll shipping out of the country?
Hugs Annette
Pat in Alabama

Re: Shipping costs through the roof! Your thoughts?

Post by Pat in Alabama »

I agree with you Annette. Shipping cost have gone way out of sight. I use Parcel Monkey when I ship to UK. It is by far the cheapest. They use UPS, Fed Ex and others. Don't know if you have that option in Canada.
Annette

Post by Annette »

Pat in Alabama wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:55 am I agree with you Annette. Shipping cost have gone way out of sight. I use Parcel Monkey when I ship to UK. It is by far the cheapest. They use UPS, Fed Ex and others. Don't know if you have that option in Canada.
Thanks Pat. I think, regardless of which shipping company is used, the rates have gone ridiculously high.
I’m not sure about Parcel Monkey here, but we do have UPS, FedEx, and DHL, also Loomis.
I have had trouble with UPS of late. Twice the driver has left my boxes on my garbage can beside the garage, just 50ft from my front door, and yesterday, left it in the dirt beside the garage because the garbage can wasn’t there! I have phoned UPS twice, to find out why the driver can’t either drive or walk those 50ft, but no change. :roll:
Hugs Annette
tovisbabies

Post by tovisbabies »

I always have to add shipping to the cost of the item and then it becomes too expensive!
Annette

Post by Annette »

tovisbabies wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:13 am I always have to add shipping to the cost of the item and then it becomes too expensive!
Unfortunately, the time we used to offer items “including shipping”, are long gone because of such high charges. 😕. Makes it a lot harder to sell. 😕. And buy too.
Hugs Annette
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I have noticed for a while that the shipping prices from some U.K. sellers are astronomical. I buy from all over the world and I don't buy from those sellers on Ebay who have ridiculous prices for shipping on their clothing. I also noticed that some of the sellers on Etsy from the U.K. are charging way to much for shipping their clothing. I know I am probably offending some Ladies but I can buy from plenty of sellers from the U.K. on Ebay and Etsy who charge normal shipping charges. Mike and I have shipped all over the world and we have never charged such exorbitant prices for shipping.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

Shipping prices in the UK have gone up a lot. I just paid about $8 to return a pocket radio to someone from ebay because it doesn't work. Outrageous.

Jo in the UK.
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

I charge actual shipping when I am selling on EBay. No handling, etc. Still, the high cost of shipping limits what I can sell at a reasonable price. When selling, I have to consider what the buyer is willing to pay total and price accordingly. Sometimes, it’s just not with it to me to go to the trouble of listing.
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies
Annette

Post by Annette »

georgeanne wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:43 pm I have noticed for a while that the shipping prices from some U.K. sellers are astronomical. I buy from all over the world and I don't buy from those sellers on Ebay who have ridiculous prices for shipping on their clothing. I also noticed that some of the sellers on Etsy from the U.K. are charging way to much for shipping their clothing. I know I am probably offending some Ladies but I can buy from plenty of sellers from the U.K. on Ebay and Etsy who charge normal shipping charges. Mike and I have shipped all over the world and we have never charged such exorbitant prices for shipping.
You are right, my friend! I first noticed it just recently on the U.K. baby clothing auctions on Ebay. Sellers listing items for a couple of dollars U.S. then charging over $30 for shipping! 😳. I passed over all the ones like that, even though I really wanted a couple of those items. 😕 With the exchange, to me, it just isn’t worth paying over $50 for one baby sleeper.
Hugs Annette
Annette

Post by Annette »

safcfootienut_Jo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:24 am Shipping prices in the UK have gone up a lot. I just paid about $8 to return a pocket radio to someone from ebay because it doesn't work. Outrageous.

Jo in the UK.
It’s getting ridiculous, isn’t it? I wonder how they justify such big increases?!
Hugs Annette
Annette

Post by Annette »

HushabyeMargie wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:50 am I charge actual shipping when I am selling on EBay. No handling, etc. Still, the high cost of shipping limits what I can sell at a reasonable price. When selling, I have to consider what the buyer is willing to pay total and price accordingly. Sometimes, it’s just not with it to me to go to the trouble of listing.
It’s hard on sellers like yourself. Especially since you have to pay fees to EBay too.
Hardly worth the effort sometimes. I think there will be a lot of sellers looking for alternative selling sites, because of high Ebay fees., and high shipping costs too. And buyers too.
I don’t buy on EBay as much as I used to. I found Poshmark here in Canada, and like the fact that shipping is standard on all purchases, so I know what I’ll be paying before I actually buy. It’s not an auction site though, but you can give and get offers. And anything priced at $20 or less, has a fee of $3.95. Anything over that, is 20%.
Hugs Annette
suebabygirl

Post by suebabygirl »

Annette, I so agree with you. I have been selling a few of my dolls lately and it is costing about $75 - $80 to ship priority and insured. Even with those prices, the post office managed to break an OOAK. You would think they would handle them like gold especially with fragile all over the book and a high value insurance rate.
Annette

Post by Annette »

suebabygirl wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:50 pm Annette, I so agree with you. I have been selling a few of my dolls lately and it is costing about $75 - $80 to ship priority and insured. Even with those prices, the post office managed to break an OOAK. You would think they would handle them like gold especially with fragile all over the book and a high value insurance rate.

Oh Sue! I’m so sorry your OOAK got damaged. 😞😢. It seems the more we pay for shipping, the less careful they are with our precious dolls! And “FRAGILE” stickers seems to translate to “use it like a football” to some carriers. 😡😢😞
Hugs Annette
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I sent an ooak out a couple days ago. She was double boxed and weighed just about 12 lbs. The outer box was 24 x 18 x 15 . With priority mail and insurance it cost me $107.55 to mail her from NJ to FL. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hugs,
Nadia

DianeLovesBabies

Post by DianeLovesBabies »

I have not shipped a doll out in years and recently took one to UPS to send out and with the cost of shipping and insurance it was over $84 and I almost passed out on the floor. Then the PP fees have gone up. They were over $50. Will not be selling or shipping anymore dolls in the near future because I can not afford it.
Be happy and play with dolls!
Annette

Post by Annette »

NadiaK wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00 pm I sent an ooak out a couple days ago. She was double boxed and weighed just about 12 lbs. The outer box was 24 x 18 x 15 . With priority mail and insurance it cost me $107.55 to mail her from NJ to FL. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yikes! 😳. It’s getting to the point where it’s so expensive, that you don’t want to ship anything anymore! :shock:
Hugs Annette
Annette

Post by Annette »

DianeLovesBabies wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 am I have not shipped a doll out in years and recently took one to UPS to send out and with the cost of shipping and insurance it was over $84 and I almost passed out on the floor. Then the PP fees have gone up. They were over $50. Will not be selling or shipping anymore dolls in the near future because I can not afford it.

It’s getting ridiculously expensive, and the service just gets worse!
I’m thinking that my dream baby will be the last that I buy from the States. Dread to think what it’s going to cost to have her shipped! 😳😳
Hugs Annette

Publish the Menu module to "offcanvas" position. Here you can publish other modules as well.
Learn More.