I'm afraid the popularity of Reborns might be gone....

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

I'm afraid the popularity of Reborns might be gone....

Post by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS »

Anyone else having trouble selling their dolls? I've noticed that the prices have dropped drastically. Maybe because of all of the Fake kits? Seems like all that are selling are dolls for $200-$300. I have prototypes that cost $2000-$3500 and ill be lucky to get half of that now. I just bought all new paints and supplies and ordered some new kits but think I made a mistake...
NadiaK

Re: I'm afraid the popularity of Reborns might be gone....

Post by NadiaK »

I have been selling many dolls not just reborns lately as we are moving and I need to downsize.
I was able to sell some of the less expensive reborns I own. Those were in the $400-$500 price range. However selling the reborns I paid $1200 and higher has been much more difficult.
A big problem is also shipping which is now over the top. I had a few inquires from the UK but when they heard what shipping would be they backed out.
I also have a large collection of composition dolls and hard plastic Madame Alexanders. The composition dolls I sold for less than half of what I paid for them. I put some of the MA for sale on Facebook and there was no interest at all. Most MA's are selling for $15 - $25 at best. I rather keep them then sell them so cheap.
I guess the rage now is silicones. I have owned a few by high end artists and they too have their issues not to mention that the prices are astronomical.
Hugs,
Nadia

Jo Lee

Post by Jo Lee »

Linda, you could be right about the fake kits being part of the reason why people hesitate to buy reborns, but I also wonder if people aren't saving their money for other things, especially since many are shopping early for the holidays since items may be in short supply?

Also, I think over time the popularity of a particular doll seems to wax and wane. I can remember when OOAKs were all the rage, then it was resin, then silicone and then reborns. For example, a few years ago, you couldn't hardly give away a Lee Middleton doll because the Masterpiece dolls were all the rage and very popular. Now, the Middletons seem a little more popular and people are actually buying them again.

Years ago, Tina Berry on HSN, said this about collecting dolls, "buy what you love and don't buy the doll thinking it will appreciate in value." I've let a lot of dolls go at a loss or even have given them away because I'd rather they go to someone that might enjoy them rather than them staying here and take up valuable dolly space. It also gives me a little money towards a new doll or one that's new to me even if I'm selling the doll at a loss. If you enjoy reborning, by all means continue the hobby. Maybe even think about turning some of the kits into reborns for a child that might want a reborn for Christmas, but the parents can't afford hundreds of dollars for a "play" doll. Best of luck, my friend.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I have always felt that reborns were going to go out of favor. I had at one time wanted to reborn for extra income, but I could see that it was a nightmare for sellers and just didn't feel up to dealing with buyers, my MS makes it hard to function on a good day. I have reborn for myself but have not felt well enough to even do that anymore.

I absolutely agree about not buying something with the hopes of someday being able to sell it for what I paid or a profit so I have rarely sold any of my dolls, I love them too much anyway, although my family thinks I am goofy, but I don't care, I love dolls and always will.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I think that buying any collectable type thing with the hopes of selling it later for more money is generally not a good idea unless you sell it quickly within the period of popularity of the item. I have found it true of dolls - antique, reborn, silicone, OOAK - buy what you love and what brings you comfort, Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Amyslildarlings

Post by Amyslildarlings »

I still love them
Jo Lee

Post by Jo Lee »

cookielover wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:52 am I think that buying any collectable type thing with the hopes of selling it later for more money is generally not a good idea unless you sell it quickly within the period of popularity of the item. I have found it true of dolls - antique, reborn, silicone, OOAK - buy what you love and what brings you comfort, Ruth
Totally agree, Ruth. I've been selling some dolls and buying some of the dolls that I bought when I first started collecting, which are Middleton's. As I've gotten older, some of these heavy dolls, especially the reborn toddlers, are too heavy for me, so I'm going with smaller and ones that weigh less. I've noticed that my own tastes have changed as the years of collecting have evolved. I still love some of my reborns, and plan to keep most of the manufactured dolls in my collection along with my resins. However, I do have a silicone that I'd love to find a home for because silicone is my least favorite medium when it comes to collecting.
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

There are a lot of factors that led to the flat market for Reborns. One is that there are so many “artists” now. The thousands of Reborns on any given selling site have made them common place and apparently easy to obtain.
Another is the glut in the market of Chinese “Reborns”. They are selling under $100 in most cases. Real artists cannot compete considering they are paying $150 just for the kit. Newer buyers don’t know the difference between the dolls and think the real artists are gouging them.
Newer artists are jumping in with the sole intent of making buckets of money, asking the same prices as experienced artists actually deserve for their higher quality dolls.
I sold several dolls last year…mostly at huge losses…but I did so because the market was hot and the time was right. I also sold most of my kits. Although I may still sell some babies, I won’t expect to make any money on them. I have found I am better off selling an older reborn as used than selling my own babies. Not that my babies aren’t quite nice, I just have had no luck breaking back into the market after taking several years off and don’t have the heart to get out there and compete anymore.
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

I still love dolls but buy very sparingly. I most collect silicones and you can very rarely find one on the secondary market. The newer sili's are WAY out of my price range although they are worth every penny the artist charges. There are so many fake dolls and scammers out there till you are scared to buy anything new. I'm terrified I'll buy a knock off because I don't buy many reborn babies and now there are so many unfamiliar reborn artists. I think most of all the economy plays a big part of it. Everything is going out of sight except our checks. Dolls are a luxury. I'll continue on loving dolls till I die. I hate this place has dwindled down but most folks gather on Facebook where there are a gazillion reborn and silicone doll sites. I always bought my dolls here because I trusted you ladies. I just need to make time to post more often.