Update in a few days and some warnings

Announcement Board - Please check this forum often!
Steve
Site Admin

Update in a few days and some warnings

Post by Steve »

Hey all,
I've been working on an update to DF slowly over the past few months and just posting a heads up that probably within the next week it will be ready...or, ready enough to make the change. The forum will pretty much be the same but adding some things and some things simply won't work any longer like the gallery at http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery. If you are using the gallery for anything outside of DF like to host pictures for auctions please don't rely on that to serve that function. The update will have an almost facebook-like section(more like a profile area on steroids) where you can create your own photo albums and upload pictures but the links and all will very much change.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Barbara L.

Re: Update in a few days and some warnings

Post by Barbara L. »

Thanks for the heads-up!
Dolls for Sale: https://www.reborns.com/VinStyleandMore and Vintage baby clothes & shoes for sale: https://vinstyleandmore.etsy.com
MelissaAnn

Post by MelissaAnn »

Do we need to save our pics somewhere else?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Sweet Baby Cameron ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama »

Thank you Steve for all that you do for us to keep this forum up and running. I am very grateful.
Wishing you a blessed day.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

This update sounds so exciting!
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

MelissaAnn wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:46 am Do we need to save our pics somewhere else?
I would recommend it if you don't have them still on your computer. If you need a place to upload them in the meantime http://imgur.com is a good place.

I think the update is going to be confusing for quite a few because outside of the forums(which I'm pretty much keeping the same so it's not total mayhem;hehe) there are other features that can be overwhelming but also be cool once figured out. I'm sure there will also be some bugs I haven't come across yet but you all will so after the update will try and be as active as possible to quash them and I'm sure will be updating the FAQ as fast as I can :)
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

well I am excited to see the changes... thanks for all you do!!! We appreciate you...
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Can’t wait. Thank you Steve.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Sounds like it will be good -- but confusing for some of us. Thanks for all you do! Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

cookielover wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:05 pm Sounds like it will be good -- but confusing for some of us. Thanks for all you do! Ruth
If you're comfortable with the forums you can still just hang out on it...I don't imagine other parts of the site will be busier. For the artists and/or doll owners who are trying to sell there will be a bit more visible way to do so though the forum classifieds will remain the same. There used to be a section where sellers could post their dolls and the sales stood out more and it's kind of the same idea where there is more visibility. I understand when selling on eBay you have to be careful about running a classified in multiple locations but was surprised when that option existed previously not many took advantage of it since it could just be the same info and point a user to their auction if wanted.

The most confusing for users I think will be a community/profile section where it's almost like a private little facebook. Pages and groups can be created by users like a How To group for artists. Photo albums are created there and you can have your own friends/followers if wanted. It has it's own private messaging system which will be kind of redundant to the forums PM system which I might eventually get rid of but if I do there will be plenty of warning about it. The community section is a pre-built script that I used for a client a couple of years ago and was pretty impressed with it so we'll see....a lot of what I'm doing is just bridging the forum with it so a lot of the info is incorporated between the two.

Still have a couple of things to clean up but it's getting close.
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I think I'm going to give it a shot in an hour or so.....DF will be down for a bit during the process. May not complete it all but at the least lay the foundation (the site will look the same after) or get it functioning on the new layout.
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

The core and then some of the update is done....still a lot of follow-up to work on. Please bear in mind I'm working on it but if you notice any bugs, have any questions on stuff, or whatnot please post in the "Questions/Comments" section.

One thing you'll notice is your avatar (if you uploaded one previously) is in a couple different spots outside of the typical forum. The large one at top and the smaller one on the black tool bar are probably just letters for you based on your username. If you want to synchronize them just go to https://www.doll-fan.com/forums/user/av ... cp_profile and click on the submit button. Should do the trick. You can also go to https://www.doll-fan.com/community/profile/edit which is an introduction to the new "community" section I've been talking about and update the avatar and other stuff there if wanted.

If you want to get busy on uploading photos just click on the "Photos" link in the black menubar, add an album or two, and upload. That menubar is really a shortcut to the "community" section I referred to and for most it is going to be a learning curve if you want to use it. Anyway, suns coming up and I've got to get some sleep. Will be back at it soon enough.
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Steve,
I am not seeing under profile where to add a signature picture.
Hugs,
Nadia

MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

I didn’t see this and just yesterday uploaded a bunch of photos because I am selling my doll collection. I usually can find my photos by going under my name and hitting my gallery now I have no idea how to find my photos.
The dolls I have for sale that had photos from that gallery are not missing those pictures in the classified section. Any help would be great
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Unfortunately, the gallery no longer functions so can't view, delete, or upload the images. The images are still on the server but there's nothing to tell them where to go.
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Sandie Girl

Post by Sandie Girl »

Hi Steve. Finding my way around the new set-up. Getting there. I listed a reborn Sophie last night. It shows up as a new listing when I login but I can't see the listing in the reborn section. Can you check for me please. Thanks Steve. :D
MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

What about private messenges? Someone bought a doll from me and I don’t see the messages so I can her the information that it was shipped. I don’t see feedback anymore either. She bought dolls in the past. Thanks
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

MonicaW wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm What about private messenges? Someone bought a doll from me and I don’t see the messages so I can her the information that it was shipped. I don’t see feedback anymore either. She bought dolls in the past. Thanks
Monica,
If you click on your profile, you will see a little envelope in the top right hand side that is for messages.
Hugs,
Nadia

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Sandie Girl wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:03 pm Hi Steve. Finding my way around the new set-up. Getting there. I listed a reborn Sophie last night. It shows up as a new listing when I login but I can't see the listing in the reborn section. Can you check for me please. Thanks Steve. :D
Not sure what you mean. It's in the reborn section but it's not going to make a post in the forums automatically for you. Is that what you were expecting? That part hasn't changed...you can make a post in the classified forums pointing to your ad if you want.
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

MonicaW wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm What about private messenges? Someone bought a doll from me and I don’t see the messages so I can her the information that it was shipped. I don’t see feedback anymore either. She bought dolls in the past. Thanks
private messages for the forum hasn't changed. There's a link near the top next to your forum avatar that says "Private messages". Am I misunderstanding? Sounds like you previously navigated to your PM's differently.
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret