The TEN DON"Ts for New Sculptors

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
Dannas_Storybookbabies

Post by Dannas_Storybookbabies »

Thanks, hon....btdt...hee hee. I don't want to offend anyone, but you figure people don't have to agree with me and take what helps and leave what doesn't.
Willow Dawn

Post by Willow Dawn »

Oh I agree!!! I think sharing any knowledge that you aquire, is a true
asset to have around!! I truly appreciate it very much, and so glad you decided to give the super sculpy and cernit mix a try, I knew you'd like it!! :lol:
Denise

Post by Denise »

I don't sculpt but your directions are very helpful--thanks for sharing. I have a question about #13.
Where do you get the apoxie sculpt, and how is it used? I wonder if that is what Lorna Miller is using for her fingers?

"13. which leads me to tip number 13.....I got so frustrated that I investigated ways to make my sculpts stronger...I tried everything as far as armatures go.....from wire to foil, to copper tubing, to serial baking an armature skeleton. And the best thing I have found is apoxie sculpt.....let me give you a picture of how strong this stuff is.....in the mold making class I was working on a limb and had my arm in a vice to cut off the edge of the apoxie sculpt (I needed 3/4 limbs instead of full so I needed to chop some of the arm off) so I had my arm in a vice and was using a SAW to cut through the end of the arm...and that stuff is HARD to cut through...well...I had an internal skeleton of foil, wire AND apoxie sculpt even used it throughout the fingers and when I finally cut through the end, my arm fell out of the vice onto the concrete floor and not one of the fingers broke off....made a believer out of all of us in class!!!! Just imagine the strength you can give your OOAKs if you take the time to do this for your sculpts....and keep in mind my arm was made out of the clay that starts with the letter P......so the skeleton did its job!!!! Why you don't read about this stuff on the baby boards is beyond me. I found out about this stuff on a fairy board fwiw..they use it all the time."
Denise

Post by Denise »

Here is a link to the apoxie sculpt. Can you sculpt a baby from this clay?
If so, it sounds great because ooaks won't have broken fingers or toes!!

http://www.continentalclay.com/detail.p ... 48&PID=866
Willow Dawn

Post by Willow Dawn »

I don't think I would use this.. I'm a slow sculptor, and this says it only allows a 2 hour work time! This would be great for the armature though.
Dannas_Storybookbabies

Post by Dannas_Storybookbabies »

You wouldn't want to sculpt from it, but it really makes a great addition to an armature especially flanges and fingers!
Melsie

Re: The TEN DON"Ts for New Sculptors

Post by Melsie »

Just bumping up for newbies. There's been lots of newbies asking about sculpting here lately, and Danna's guide has been so helpful to so many of us....
mireazucenaya

Post by mireazucenaya »

Thanks for posting this, I was just getting ready to buy more Prosculpt.
mistyH

Post by mistyH »

I know this was posted in 2007 but I LOVE IT!...LOL!!!! I hear everything youre sayin girl.I was laughin and feelin sorry for you the whole time i was reading it!I loved the part about NEVER put in the details in the beginning...lol...ya can squash a teetee real fast that way hu?...lol.Really enjoyed reading this and I bet you helped alot of people with this thread!