Reproducing sculpts in Vinyl?

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
LindaSmith

Reproducing sculpts in Vinyl?

Post by LindaSmith »

I posted this message in another area of the Forum, but wasn't sure if sculpting artists would see it....I'm hoping to find someone here who may have some good suggestions, to go about reproducing a sculpt...so here's my questions....

How does an artist go about having sculpts considered for reproduction vinyl kits?

Does an artist submit a sculpt for consideration to a company and contract for the reproduction of it, or does this take investment capitol to get a foot in the door?

I guess, I'm looking for anyone generous in sharing their knowledge & suggestions on how to get started in this area of work.

Thanks so much!
heidim

Post by heidim »

I can't help you with your ?'s, but I wanted to say that your "Alice" is lovely! How do you do that small of a face that smoothly? Do you never use your fingers, and only use tools?
great job on Alice!
heidim
LindaSmith

Post by LindaSmith »

Thank-you Heidm! Actually finger smoothing does play a huge part in getting the polymer surface smooth. In the hard to get areas, like around the nose, lips, & above the eyes....I like to use artist paint brushes, that have a very feathered tip end and sculpey diluent (oil). Finger smoothing with just a dab of oil does good on the cheeks and forehead, along with a light touch. Thanks again and for visiting my works in progress!
Falicia

Post by Falicia »

Hello Linda, I am new to sculpting since April of this year. What I did is took pictures Full body, close up on the face and sent them to different doll kit companies for consideration. They may ask for other close ups of the profile, hands and feet (both sides). They will email you back asking for more pics or a Thank You but No Thank You type of reply. I currently have one for consideration (my newest sculpt) and have 5 kits in production, this is how I went about it. I think the shock of it all will come when the kits come out LOLOL
Hope this helps!
Sincerely, Falicia
LindaSmith

Post by LindaSmith »

Falicia, congradulations on getting your work into kits! I'll bet you're on cloud nine... :D

I thank-you for your suggestion, it's a really good idea, and I appreciate your help.

Best of luck on your kit sales!
Falicia

Post by Falicia »

Thank You Linda and The Best of Luck to you as well.
I am very excited but it hasn't quite hit me yet. I think when I receive the first prototype then I will pass out LOL. Up till now it's been similar to selling a reborn LOL Create it, sell it, and send it lol So the reality will come when my vinyl creations arrive I think???
Please let us know how it all works out for you!
OOAKRebornBaby(Michelle)

Re: Reproducing sculpts in Vinyl?

Post by OOAKRebornBaby(Michelle) »

I am holding a sculpting contest.
Falicia

Post by Falicia »

I had a question regarding the sculpting contest. The winner receives $250 plus a couple free kits and their sculpt made into kits.... Are there royalties from the sale of the 300 doll kits or does it include signing all rights to OOAKRebornBaby?
Thank You Sincerely
OOAKRebornBaby(Michelle)

The winner of the sculpting contest also recieves $5 from each doll kit sold. If you have any more questions please let me know thank you.-michelle
Falicia

Post by Falicia »

Hello and Thank You for replying so quickly. I visited your site and see that it is empty, you must be very new? It is stated on your site that you have well known reborn artists as well as sculptors. Can you share with us who they are so we feel more comfortable in entering the contest. I looked and the only name or kind of name on the entire site is phoenixflygirl, who are the artists that run this new website or company?
Thank You Very Much, Falicia
LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

Post by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS »

Hi! Linda Smith, my name is Linda Smith also and I am also a doll sculptor! I actually have received some emails that were mean't for you before! I just started scuplting for a company and told them to be sure to use my middle intial so we can keep our names separate. I hope you middle name doesn't start with a "K"? There are some companies in china that will make your dolls into kits for a very reasonable price. I will try to find their email address for you.
Falicia

Post by Falicia »

For Linda Smith and Linda Smith LOL Here is one company that I am going through
http://www.joydoll.com/

Hope this helps
OOAKRebornBaby(Michelle)

I just went on my webpage and saw what you were talking about. I am currently working with a woman named Cherlyn Fields she is a local sculptor in Nevada. But yes i am new. I have been reborning babies for a few years for local craft shows...and i want to venture into the sculpting aspect of reborning.I have tried to sculpt and im not very good so im looking for a very talented sculptor to sculpt babies for my company and have them produced into vinyl kits... I dont know any other way of getting people to sculpt for me and i thought this would be the best way to find a few sculptors ...my goal eventually is to have the best limited addition kits ever...All i need is to find the right sculptor...If you have any suggestions please let me know. I want you guys to feel like you can trust me but i am a new company and i dont have any doll kits made yet this sculpting contest will make the first doll kit...-Michelle Bunnell http://www.ooakrebornbaby.com
ana

Post by ana »

I can give you information on reproducing in vinyl depending on where you are situated!...You can pm me if you like and will pass on info!

Thanks. x :)
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I just pre-ordered my first doll kit from your company Michelle. I got the Chloe kit that is just out. As long as you offer nice sculpts delivered when promised with good customer service and don't treat people like RDK and their associates your company should do well. I was a little leary of doing a pre-order because of my past bad experiences with RDK so I am hoping this goes well. Sorry to be so blunt but I think many here have had the same type frustrations.
Bobbis Bitsy Bundles

Post by Bobbis Bitsy Bundles »

I produce sculpts into vinyl too. I have worked with some great artists! I am currently working with a debut artist from Germany. Her sculpts are SO cute! I cannot wait to release the first one for her! Should be early next year. :D Most companies are not like RDK, so don't let them scare you.
OOAKRebornBaby(Michelle)

Wow I completely forgot about this post it was started back in 2007 when I first started :) It is nice to look back and see what I have accomplished. If any one ever needs my feedback they can look up username phoenixflygirl on ebay :)
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I didn't even notice the date on the original post. LOL! I just searched your name here to make sure you had a good reputation before I ordered my kit. Not to worry though because I am hearing all great things from others!