TT....DFTT Rejects Sculpting Class...FINISHED

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
rhonda

Re: TT....DFTT Rejects Sculpting Class

Post by rhonda »

That is an adorable baby picture you are using for a model.

WOW!! :shock: You have ALOT of little ones sbm. I bet you are one busy mommy with that crew. I can see why you might need a break every now and then. :toast:

Your right about having a few old sculpts hidden in the closet. I have a box of practice heads and limbs. I decided to recycle and get the hammer out and break a couple of them up to use the eyes and head forms since I am out.
At the time I did them I was pretty pleased with them but now since I have learned more with the practice I look at them and all I can see was the mistakes I made so I won't miss them. :wink:

I will try to catch up and post pix tomorrow.

happy sculpting :baby: :D

Hi Sam,
Good work on your sculpt. He looks so cute. :toast:
sbm

Post by sbm »

OH LORD Rhonda...they're not all mine!!!!!!!!!!! If they were...I wouldn't be on here...I'd be in the closet DRUNK!!!!!!!

My friend stopped up yesterday with her 3 that play with my 2. She cuts our hair so I had to grab her while I had the chance.

Here are all the pics from last night I didn't get to post. MY plans are to sculpt today so there should be lots more posts.
For some reason...I always start on the nose and move out from there. I guess I use it as a central starting point so everything gets measured out from the nose.

Now I did find that I don't like the built up nose...I'm going to go back to all clay nose. My pea brain didn't think that I need nostrils in there. I'm the personality type that I do and THEN think....maybe.
Here are BIGGER ball sizes that I would typically use WITHOUT an already built up nose.

Threw on 2 cigar shaped pieces and a big ball for lips and chin. Angelina, eat your heart out!

Smoothed out a little

OK grab a tool and give this poor little thing some nostrils

This is where I love these nut cracker tools....perfect nostril makers!!!

More to come.......
sbm

Post by sbm »

Here ya go...

excellent thing that happened.....

Sometimes, no matter what you do an eye may shift...what to do? what to do???....well, find the nearest plastic surgeon and have a little eye lift....

Much better..........
sbm

Post by sbm »

OK nose is at a point where I feel we can move on to the eyes...

Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

wow, It's coming along good Sandra :D
sbm

Post by sbm »

Thanks Sam,
I'm not caught up to you yet...as soon as I am...maybe we;ll race!!! :lol:

I'm AGAIN dealing with these kids and my DH (uhhh, my translation of that IS NOT DEAR husband but we;ll keave that for another post! :evil: ) and he's is the worst of the 3!!!!!!!! He dropped his wedding ring through the deck this morning!!!!!!!!!!! He actually drives me to drink more than the kids!!!!!!!!!!
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

Oh Dear... :roll:

I'm sure you will overtake me soon as I hardly ever have time for sculpting. Plus I only work on it when I'm in the mood...haha! This one has been going for months!
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Wow, this is GREAT. THANKS for offering this class. I'm not participating.. yet, but think I might....... I could be a GOOD reject!
JeannieL

Post by JeannieL »

Thank you, for this class I have almost got my first sculpt
completed. :lol: I don't know how to post pictures or else I
would show you my baby. :rofl:
sbm

Post by sbm »

I'm SO glad to see there are others out there participating!!! I have a sling to sew up and get out in the m ail and then I'll be sculpting again this afternoon so keep watching!

To post pics you need to have your photos online like on www.photobucket.com OR www.snapfish.com or something like that. Then in your post go up and click on the button that says Img...cut and paste the link in between the 2 Img that come up in brackets. Did I make sense with that???? I skipped coffee this morning so I may be speaking Greek!

Be back SOOOOON!!!!

Sandra
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

OMG!! Sandra where are you????

I think she died! Or the kids and DH ganged up on her and she is now under the deck with a flashlight searching for that wedding ring!

Unless I miss my guess, DH will no longer need to worry about his wedding ring when she gets up from under the deck! :lol: :lol:

SAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAA? Come Baaaaaaaack.

Sally S.
rhonda

Post by rhonda »

Sandra,
Phew!! That is a relief to hear that only 2 are yours. 5 under 4 would be just TOO overwhelming. :lol:
Your babe is looking good. I better get crackin' so I can catch up.
sbm

Post by sbm »

Don't worry guys...I'm here!!!!!!!!!!

You should all have been here for that show retrieving the ring...oh we heard a lecture on the bad engineering of the deck (his Dad built it), I was the gopher to retrieve his tools, He beat on the deck with a hammer.... OH it was LOTS of fun! :lol: We DID retrieve the ring and I told him I was going to superglue it to his finger....I did not get a nice look back from THAT remark!

Anywho...I am trying to get this sculpting done. I would like one of the "Successful" Sculptors out there that has young kids to come on here and post HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET ANYTHING DONE????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!! Right now I'm trying to get my youngest consistent on the potty so we are playing a game that every hour my kitchen timer goes off and we ALL race to the bathroom for a potty party! Weeeee what fun!

I look forward to the day when I can be placed in my rubber room...I sure hope they allow me to have my clay and paints!!!!!!!!

San
sbm

Post by sbm »

Work done on one eye...I need to start taking photos AS I sculpt...I just get caught up in the moment and forget!
Some teacher, huh????

For those of you not yet sculpting or struggling to get proportions right, here are some copies of the "inspiration" piece with my notes....
Look at the SHAPE of the eye as a BASIC SHAPE...block out the eyeball and just try to see the SHAPE of the eye.

Negative space and Positive space....see I actually DID pay attention in college or was it HS...it's SO long ago, my memory is fading! :lol: Let's say college so I can validate having paid those school loans!!!!!!!!!
Positive space is the acual thing you see...the shape of the eye...the eyeball. The Negative space is the space around or in between the positive spaces...like the white of the eye. Does that make sense??? If you start looking at things this way, it is easier to get the right perspective and proportions.
sbm

Post by sbm »

Using sculpting tools to measure....
On "inspiration pic"(IP) the space between the eyes is 1 1/2 eye width.

So on your sculpt, measure your eye and place the other eye 1 1/2 eye width away.

Ways to "cheat" if you're not confident with your sculpting (you didn't learn these from me! :lol: )
1. Upload IP into photo editing software and make it "same size" as your sculpt.

2. This one I actually did use once when working on a portrait sculpt and I was stumped. Take a pic of your sculpt and overlay it over your IP (in photo editing software again). This shows you EXACTLY where you are going wrong.
KAREN AZ

Post by KAREN AZ »

SBM, I just want you to know how MUCH I'M ENJOYING your lessons!! If you ever need a vacation how about coming to Arizona this winter and staying with me!! :lol: I know I could learn a lot from you! KAREN AZ
sbm

Post by sbm »

Only if I can leave my kids at home!!! I'll go anywhere!!!! hahahahah

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying these.
Wasn't sure whether anyone would care to see. I know when I first started out, I had questions so thought I'd give a little back! (Heck I'll ALWAYS have questions!!!! :D )

Taking a break to feed the kids and pack my bags for Karen's place!
sbm

Post by sbm »

OK...can anyone guees what this is????

:lol:
Sandra
sbm

Post by sbm »

Hee hee....

I think I secretly want to be a Plastic Surgeon (I guess I am...plastic clay sculptor :rofl: Sorry...I'm home alone with young children...it starts to affect your brain!!!!!!!!!!)

I decided her nose was too low so just sliced that baby off!
Also...placed a cigar of clay across her forehead...it was too flat. Smoothed her out a little better just because it was starting to bug me!

So now she is an alien...sorry to any abductees that I'm bringing memories back to.

OK...seriously...it's good to take photos of your sculpts and look at them on your computer because you see things that you just don't pick up otherwise. I'm planning on fiddling with the eye shape some more after looking at this pic.
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

Kids or no kids, I am impressed with your sculpting.
Your aliens are at least recognizable as resembling humans! :lol:

Sally .... I use to do day care, send the kids to me for a week!