Is anyone else having problems selling their dolls?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
lisasdolls

Is anyone else having problems selling their dolls?

Post by lisasdolls »

I have had my silicones dolls listed on ebay for the past 2 months with alot of watchers but no buyers. One is Saorise by Bonnie Brown price is $1900.00 and the other is Ellie by Bonnie Brown price $1900.00. I thought the price was fair that's what I paid for them. I also have a reborn Attius by Laura Eagles. He is priced for $299.00 he is bald. Again watchers no buyers. What am I doing wrong? I need to get them sold because of medical bills I have to pay. Also have them on facebook and had them here on dollfan. :dunno:
tovisbabies

Re: Is anyone else having problems selling their dolls?

Post by tovisbabies »

Yes very hard to sell
Barbara L.

Post by Barbara L. »

I am trying to sell some too.
Even though it cost quite a bit in fees, I sell more on eBay than anywhere else.
I have not yet sold through Facebook, because there is no protection and too many scammers, but
I do market my dolls there with pictures and information and links to eBay.
Dolls for Sale: https://www.reborns.com/VinStyleandMore and Vintage baby clothes & shoes for sale: https://vinstyleandmore.etsy.com
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I have collected dolls since the 1970s Started with antiques and worked myself through to silicones with lots along the way. I have over 1000 dolls including over 40 silicones. It is not something one is doing wrong when your dolls don't sell. Here are my thoughts not in any order of importance

1. We all bought with belief they would gain in value. That day has passed. They are like cars - once you drive them off the lot -- they start the downward price -- I think that is true of almost all dolls.

2. Most of population does not collect things like dolls, trains, toys, postcards etc. The watchers on eBay are watching NOT the doll but what it might sell for --- so they can put their doll up for sale.

3. You see commercial doll sellers leaving because their inventory is not moving.

4. Doll artist are making new dolls all the time -- so their "older" models are not as attractive unless VERY cheap. They are then bought at cheap prices by people who hope to profit on resale.

5. Remember how clothes once sold --- and now look at them

In the end at 80, do I regret my hobby of over 50 years? NO -- they have brought me great joy, memories, and comfort. But they are not worth much and they take up a lot of space. I could have spent that money on lots of things: travel, houses, cars, eating out etc etc -- but I bought dolls.

I go daily to shopgoodwill.com -- to watch their prices -- try it My best to all, Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Excellent analysis Ruth. I find the only dolls that are selling well are those done by top artists. But even those are being sold at a loss.
Hugs,
Nadia

suebabygirl

Post by suebabygirl »

I am having a hard time selling some of my less expensive and older dolls even on doll-fan. It seems like the really expensive ones sell which is a mystery to me. I am baffled how people can afford some of these new dolls at $9,000 and well above. I don't have that kind of money and never will spend it on a doll. I guess I'm too practical especially with what Ruth has said so well - the minute you buy them, they have lost and will continue to lose their value. I can't even keep track of what is "in" with the doll world. I am just keeping the dolls I love and parting with the rest. I am not purchasing anything unless I intend to keep it and can afford to pay for it.
JackieKay

Post by JackieKay »

I think there are just a very limited number of people who can afford the expensive silicones. I know I sure can't pay as much as they are - not because they aren't worth that but because I just don't make enough money. Those prices would pay for the new a/c I need or help make payments on a new car because the old one is wearing out or any other number of necessary things that come up in life. I can still buy some nice reborns now and then but I usually have to either sell something I have or plan ahead and budget for those which means often I have to pass up getting one I see for sale that I'd like to have because the timing isn't right and I'm already committed on something else. Also, it might be that a lot of collectors are us older gals over 70 who already have a nice collection and even if healthy now have to think about saving some in case some medical emergency comes up and I'm sure we all know that can happen overnight. Perhaps our hubbies are retired or getting near retirement age and our overall income is going to change. I wonder if maybe there aren't as many young collectors coming up who maybe would have more spending money for buying collectible things at that time in their life. There are just so many reasons why people aren't able to buy especially those high-end ones. Also, I agree 100% with all that Ruth said.

One other thing about watching an item. When I am browsing looking at anything on eBay and see something I like I put it on my watch list so I can find it again easily when I am ready to make a decision about purchasing. Sometimes I make the purchase and sometimes I don't for various reasons. Perhaps I should delete the item from my watch list if I decide not to purchase so the person doesn't think I still might be interested.
lisasdolls

Post by lisasdolls »

Thank you ladies for taking the time to response to my post. It means alot to me. I guess I just will have to hang in there and wait. And hope they sale. Need to pay medical bills.
tammiedolz4u

Post by tammiedolz4u »

Yes, I’ve been trying to sell a couple of my dolls without success since the middle of July. I have reduced the price. But, I’m not going to reduce it anymore otherwise I’ll be giving them away. In fact, someone contacted me asking if they were free?! 😳What nerves! I’ve decided to just hold on to them if they don’t sell.
MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

You use the be able to sell your dolls for a decent price not anymore. Now they sell for next to nothing.
That’s because there are sooooo many artists and soooo many dolls. Like anything a doll is a commodity the more there is of something the less value it has. It is a shame because selling really was a way to afford for most doll collectors to buy again.
Me now I am in a totally different financial situation.
So I sell because I need the money. When I try to sell a One a kind that once was worth so much I sell it for peanuts. Shame. My situation got a little better but changed again. So have to take whatever I can get. I keep some for my daughter to inherit in the future. I miss the old days.
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

You should see what dolls are selling for on facebook, I don't know if it is kids selling them or what plus China is on there also and are using a lot of the prototypes as their work, I just don't know how you can sell a quality doll when you spend 144.00 for the kit and sell it finished for 250.00 Yes I agree with everything that Ruth has said.
MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

I wanted to add something. I wish that somebody would write a book about the history of the evolution of dolls. For me this is Art history. It has been fascinating to watch on dollfan from 1998 until now How realistic dolls have become. I wish there was a museum where there were dolls from each year that showed the growth and explained a little bit about the different kinds of dolls and doll artists. I love dolls and I love Doll collecting. But I also love art. And I hate to see for the history of this to all be missed or to be written down in accurate one day. All of this the Doll’s, Doll friends, Doll artists, Dollshows, Doll pictures, etc. has brought so much joy to my life. I never thought that I would ever see a profit from any of my dolls. But I did want to pass down my collection to my daughter and hopefully she will pass down to her daughter and so on. Because I do believe many years now that the dolls that were kept perfect would have value to them. And I don’t want do it because some great great great great great granddaughter would have money. I wanted to do it because to me it’s been an amazing experience to be a part of this time in art history of watching the growth of dolls. I can’t believe how realistic they have become in such a short period of time. I think all of the doll collectors understand what I mean by that. They’ll be some people that will never get it. But I have watched people in the world change their views when it comes dolls. And the ones that I have Kept in my collection for my daughter for the future many people now appreciate them instead of being weirded out by them. Which is what we wanted. And now we have so many artists and so many doll collectors. And now there are so many little girls out there get Dolls that I would’ve loved to have owned when I was a little girl. My mother passed away in 2014 and she always supported my love dolls because she love to see that happiness in my face when I got a doll. She told me when I was a baby she could put me in my crib And I would just look at all my dolls until I fell asleep. When I used to sell a doll she always said to me Monica it’s never a loss when you sell Doll because that doll brought you joy. And you can’t put a price on that joy that doll brought you. Whatever you get for it is a plus. So now that I’m in the position where I need to sell Doll’s because of financial reasons I look at it that way. Like I said I’m trying to hold onto certain ones for my daughter. Because she has asked me to.
But over 20 years on this board all the dolls I’ve enjoyed with all of you PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Monica you are so right -- the experiences and memories around dolls in our life is the priceless part. Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
MonicaW

Post by MonicaW »

Big Hugs Ruth 🥰
JackieKay

Post by JackieKay »

Very well said Monica!! I feel exactly the same!
DianeLovesBabies

Post by DianeLovesBabies »

Our hobby is not the same anymore. The people in all of the groups have moved onto FaceBook but that place is not a good place to sell. Too many horror stories about selling one and then the buyer getting their money back and also keeping the doll that they said was not a good one and pay pal siding with the buyer. I still have 100’s of dolls and honestly do not want to part with many of them. The days of buying and selling has slowed down due to the high prices and I literally got priced out of the market when the dolls went from $2,000 to $6,000 in one day. I so agree with everything thing Monica and Ruth has said.

Hugs,
Diane
Be happy and play with dolls!
Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama »

Well said ladies. I will not buy from FB unless I personally know the seller. I want this forum to get back to where we were a few years ago. I love the closeness of the ladies here. I feel confident to buy or sell here.
I also agree that there are just way too many choices to adopt out there now. I agree with Diane, I will not pay the $6000 and up for a baby. I love them but there is no way I will adopt one. I guess I just want the old days of collecting to come back. :(
Wishing you a blessed day.
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

I agree with Ruth and Dianne I too have seen the changes in the doll world. I have well over 200 silicone's too and can't afford the 6,000 babies either. It's sad that so many of us true collectors who love the art of what goes into the making of a doll from sculpting to pouring to painting can't even afford to have one of the new babies yet we are the ones who helped the artist along the way. I enjoy what my babies have brought to my life, it's only recently as I've gotten so sick that I think about how much they all cost. I did ask hubby for a new one last week and it was the first time he said no, a reality check for me but I know he's already thinking about how he will go about selling them when the time comes, it will be a challenge for sure.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

Yes, it's a sad situation, and pertains not only to dolls. Other art forms (paintings, etc.) has also taken a hit... and very hard to sell on the secondary market. Unfortunately I'm in the same situation of needing to part with some of my collection. I just joined Dollfan again after a long time away. I listed two really amazing OOAKS in the classified section. I see there's no longer the OOAKS for sale forum here! eBay is pretty slow right now as well. I think concern about the economy is a factor too.