Original Sugar Britches

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
cookielover

Original Sugar Britches

Post by cookielover »

Over the years I have seen newer Sugar Britches that are ceramic/bisque but didn't know much about this doll. Well last week found one at Goodwill so I bought her Here are her pictures
clothes.JPG
sugar britches.jpg
I am currently giving her a cleaning. Thought you might enjoy. Ruth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
cookielover

Re: Original Sugar Britches

Post by cookielover »

She is vinyl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Annette

Post by Annette »

Awww! She's sweet! And definitely a classic. :)
I loved those "Sugar Britches" when I first started painting porcelain dolls. My sister gave me one for Christmas 1988, which is what started me on my road to collecting baby dolls. Unfortunately, she got broken during our last move. :( She was blonde too. :)
I found a vinyl one a few years ago too, but don't know what happened to her.

A friend of mine has the sleeping one and the awake one for sale. She's selling about 300 dolls from a lady who was a member of the local doll club, who recently passed away, and those two were in her collection.
Hugs Annette
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

So the doll was originally made in vinyl with that fascinating body construction in 1986.

Mine is #7218 - so there were lots made in vinyl. At what point was she reproduced as a kit? Who did that? Was she used in early vinyl reborning ?

Mine seems complete except for bonnet? Although I had to cut her diaper off -- it had become welded on at the tapes.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

She is really cute Ruth, great find. I like the body construction it looks well made. Hope we get to see her when you have finished working your magic.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

What a great find. She is adorable.
Hugs,
Nadia

Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

What a wonderful find!
I have only ever seen a porcelain one.
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
tammiedolz4u

Post by tammiedolz4u »

Thank you for sharing a treasure from the past.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Barbydoll wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:56 pm What a wonderful find!
I have only ever seen a porcelain one.
There is one on eBay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOOTS-TYNER-SU ... 1438.l2649

I think the most interesting thing about her is the body - particularly the arms - never seen that before -- makes her very flexible and quite the cuddle. Her body seems to be completely filled with plastic pellets. I think the bisque repro ones have a different body. Thanks for all the nice responses -- almost like old times when there was sharing and discussion. Ruth
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

mold.jpeg
Well found out who made mold for reproduction of head -- but could only find name -- no info on person.
judyismyname

Post by judyismyname »

Very nice find Ruth. She is lovely. :heart: I really like her little jointed body. I hope you will show her to us once you get her all “spic and span” and pretty as a picture :headspin:
Mikki

Post by Mikki »

She's a cutie..I believe I used to see her available as a porcelain kit...maybe Mcphersons? That big craft sight
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

I used to make the porcelain ones all the time, I never knew they had vinyl ones.
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

Ruth there is also a little one by her, she is real tiny I think like 6" and I do have the mold (head & hands) she is called Sugar Lump and she has the same style body and the head can be used for Xmas decorations and various things or a little doll. She was always one of my favorites.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Pebby wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:24 am Ruth there is also a little one by her, she is real tiny I think like 6" and I do have the mold (head & hands) she is called Sugar Lump and she has the same style body and the head can be used for Xmas decorations and various things or a little doll. She was always one of my favorites.
Do you have a picture? Was there a vinyl one or did the mold just reproduce until it was small enough? :foryou:
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

cookielover wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm
Pebby wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:24 am Ruth there is also a little one by her, she is real tiny I think like 6" and I do have the mold (head & hands) she is called Sugar Lump and she has the same style body and the head can be used for Xmas decorations and various things or a little doll. She was always one of my favorites.
Do you have a picture? Was there a vinyl one or did the mold just reproduce until it was small enough? :foryou:
Hi Ruth, I don't have a picture and the mold wouldnt show details im sure since I havent poured any, there is one on ebay , she is called Sugar Lump, Ill try to find the link for you, I did make some ornaments yrs ago but I do think they are packed away with Christmas items. I t hink Sugar Lump was a separate mold it only has head and hands, At one time I had found an article on Boots Tyner, seemed like her and her husband got divorced and I think it said she gave the business to him , but Im not sure I wish I could find that article.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1986-B ... Swqhlc-yEU
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

:heart: Thanks Pebby for the eBay link. Always fun to look into doll history. :heart:
Dion

Post by Dion »

Pebby wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 am I used to make the porcelain ones all the time, I never knew they had vinyl ones.

:D I made the porcelain ones in the late 1980's, too, Pebby, and I still have 3 of them. All of my friends and relatives wanted one, so I made at least 30 or more. I love her face. Only the head and hands were porcelain. The rest was cloth, so they were very cuddly babies and easy to pose. You could buy the Boots-Tyner shoes for them, too. I had no idea that they came in vinyl. Great find!

:foryou: Hugs, Dion
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I bought a little porcelain one on eBay --- a whooping $20 shipped!
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

I thought Sugar Britches had the cutest face. I looked for one in vinyl but never found one