What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborns??

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborns??

Post by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS »

I keep seeing auctions for reborns that have skin "texture, just like a real newborns". Is this where they are using the Genesis Matte Varnish? Is the texture rough? The last baby I seen done with "texture", it felt like sandpaper! I have had three babies and 8 grandbabies, and none of them had rough or "textured" skin. All of my babies had silky smooth skin. Am I mistaking what they mean?
Debbie

Re: What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborns??

Post by Debbie »

I'm not real crazy about the textured skin either. I agree, my grandbabies and kids didn't have textured skin, they had soft, smooth skin.
LanaDollfana

Post by LanaDollfana »

Linda,

I have only seen and touched one reborn with "textured" skin. I hated it. The doll was lovely but it was like cuddling sandpaper! I much prefer no texture.
Carmen in nj

Post by Carmen in nj »

I don't understand what you mean by TEXTURE, you mean the use of the matte varnish or the thining Medium? or just the look of baby skin only using genesis?
this is my latest baby and she is done ONLY with Genesis and mineral spirits.. :D
hugs,
CArmen in nj

LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

Some artists on Ebay say that their babies have textured skin like "real" babies. It is in my opinion and experience that "real" babies do not have textured skin. I have seen some that have used the Matte Varnish on the skin to make if feel rough, this is what I mean't. Carmen your baby is lovely!
Brooke Nicole

Post by Brooke Nicole »

Real babies do have a visual texture to their skin. So do real adults. To see the texture, though, you'd have to get very close to a person's skin. Not many people do that on a daily basis.

I achieve the textured look by pouncing on thick layers of Genesis Thinning Medium. I tried the Genesis Matte Varnish once and I didn't care for the rough feel. Genesis Thinning Medium does not cause a rough feel. My dolls are smooth to the touch, just like real babies. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I mention "texture" in my auction descriptions, I am only referring to the doll's appearance, extremely close up.

BUT, when my daughter was a newborn, she had a fair amount of raised milia (milk bumps) on her nose. I could feel the texture when I touched it. I've never attempted to paint milia onto a doll, but I'd use the Genesis Matte Varnish to create a rough feeling.

Thank goodness for high resolution digital cameras! Without them, I wouldn't be able to show the texture on my reborns.

Last edited by Brooke Nicole on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wendyv

Post by wendyv »

I always thought that texture was the matte varnish too. :trout:
Will be watching this post to see what it really means if it is something else :trout: .
By the way Brooke, not sure if it is just me but I am seeing two red x's instead of your pictures. :cry: .
Might be me, I am on the dreaded dial up. :oops:
hugs Wendy
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

I did notice this too and yes feels a bit hard like sandpaper when it has cured.Whats the difference between this and the thinning medium? Surely the thinning medium doesn't cure anything like the matte?

As for the reborns on ebay , I think it's all about competition in the quest for the most realistic reborn...(Technically a collector's doll , not expected to be played with or handled reguarly).

Brooke , I'm afraid your photos aren't working :(
H.Lori

Post by H.Lori »

I see your pictures Brooke, I thought I was looking at 2 pictures of your real baby until I read everything you wrote.
wendyv

Post by wendyv »

Thanks Brooke, yes I can see your pictures now too; they look very similar. :toast:
Brooke Nicole

Post by Brooke Nicole »

Sorry. :oops: I am having some photo hosting issues. :( Here is a better, side by side comparison photo anyway.

*Heather*Johnsonbabies*

Re: What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborn

Post by *Heather*Johnsonbabies* »

Can I just say, Brooke, you are a GODDESS! Wow! Stunningly realistic 'skin' on your reborn. That is just awesome to a degree I can't describe. You kick butt, girl! Great job! lol.
Last edited by *Heather*Johnsonbabies* on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooke Nicole

Post by Brooke Nicole »

Thank you so much, Heather! :D Here is a link to a post describing how I do it:

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=152817
LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

I always considered this as a "mottled" look. When I hear "textured" I think of the "feeling" of something. I have seen dolls in the past that had a "rough" texture and they were painted with the Matte varnish. I did not like them.
sjones571

Post by sjones571 »

Brooke does the thinning medium put on like you described take the shine away? That is why I always end up using way too much of the matte varnish. No matter what I do I always seem to end up with some shine and I hate shine but I also hate the feeling the matte varnish gives to the babies but I had rather them be rough than shiney so if your method works to cure the shine without the roughness I would love to know.

Thanks for the info
Brooke Nicole

Post by Brooke Nicole »

Hello! I do not have a problem with shine because I let the parts DRY before baking them. Did you click the link I posted for Heather? I explained the drying process in that post from October 2007.

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=152817

If you are painting and then baking right away, that is why you have shine. A little patience goes a long way. lol ;) Matte Varnish may minimize shine, but who would want a rough doll?? I threw my jar of Matte Varnish in the garbage a long time ago.

Also, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonders for shine. I used those back in 2005 before I discovered the drying thing. Patience is a virtue. :)

Good luck!
debbiesdreambabies

Post by debbiesdreambabies »

Brooke, your work is just amazing!!! I have always let mine dry before baking also but my problem comes in when I root. I always have a nice finish but then when I root it seems the constant rubbing around of the head gives me a shine. I don't like the feel of the matt varnish either.

Debbie
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

I was curious I have used the matt varnish and the only way it feels rough is if I dont put thinner in it. And in that case it then heat sets like white chalk. I don't understand how the matt creates a texturized feel? I always wondered how artists get that sandpaper feel along with that dewy look. what are they applying?
BabiesEverAfter_Daphne

Post by BabiesEverAfter_Daphne »

Brooke Nicole wrote:Real babies do have a visual texture to their skin. So do real adults. To see the texture, though, you'd have to get very close to a person's skin. Not many people do that on a daily basis.

I achieve the textured look by pouncing on thick layers of Genesis Thinning Medium. I tried the Genesis Matte Varnish once and I didn't care for the rough feel. Genesis Thinning Medium does not cause a rough feel. My dolls are smooth to the touch, just like real babies. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I mention "texture" in my auction descriptions, I am only referring to the doll's appearance, extremely close up.

BUT, when my daughter was a newborn, she had a fair amount of raised milia (milk bumps) on her nose. I could feel the texture when I touched it. I've never attempted to paint milia onto a doll, but I'd use the Genesis Matte Varnish to create a rough feeling.

Thank goodness for high resolution digital cameras! Without them, I wouldn't be able to show the texture on my reborns.

WOW WOW WOW!!! THat looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing that. I'd been wondering about the thinning medium and was going to try it...definitely will now.
I've used the matte and I agree, you can easily end up chalky if you aren't careful and it's really rough. One baby I did, I actually took one of those green scouring pads and sanded some of the grit off. It worked but that was the end of my using matte varnish on my babies.
LaurasTouch

Post by LaurasTouch »

Brooke Nicole, a million thanks to you! I do not like the matt varnish and was looking for something else to use when I saw your post. I did it and I love it!
I got what I think is a real skin texture look but no rough or harsh feel.
Did you try the thinner like Gina uses?
Gina, I always thought you couldn't use the thinner with the matt but I'll
have to give that a try some time too.
Thank you ladies :hello:
Last edited by LaurasTouch on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.