What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborns??

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
Mrs.B

Re: What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborns??

Post by Mrs.B »

I have been working on the techniques described in this post...here are the results. I love it.

JaNan

Re: What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborns??

Post by JaNan »

I think most of the reborners that report 'texture' ARE using the matte varnish...and it IS rough! yuk! I have a customer that got a custom baby from a very well known High selling artist and she said the baby felt like clay! I asked the artist if she was still using matte varnish (she used to bake too hot) and she said yes or they will go shiney from being handled! (is that true?)
will try the thinning med ..it is what I use with my paint anyway! seeing the word 'thin'...I never thought to use it for texture! what about the 'thick ' medium..any one ever try that???
Love your baby Mrs B..!!!
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Sandras Dreams

Re: What is the "Textured" skin that is being used on Reborn

Post by Sandras Dreams »

Brooke Nicole wrote:Real babies do have a visual texture to their skin. So do real adults. To see the texture, though, you'd have to get very close to a person's skin. Not many people do that on a daily basis.

I achieve the textured look by pouncing on thick layers of Genesis Thinning Medium. I tried the Genesis Matte Varnish once and I didn't care for the rough feel. Genesis Thinning Medium does not cause a rough feel. My dolls are smooth to the touch, just like real babies. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I mention "texture" in my auction descriptions, I am only referring to the doll's appearance, extremely close up.

BUT, when my daughter was a newborn, she had a fair amount of raised milia (milk bumps) on her nose. I could feel the texture when I touched it. I've never attempted to paint milia onto a doll, but I'd use the Genesis Matte Varnish to create a rough feeling.

Thank goodness for high resolution digital cameras! Without them, I wouldn't be able to show the texture on my reborns.

Does anyone know if you use thinning medium BEFORE or After painting?
Does the thining medium take away shine and give a nice textured look?
Thank you for your input!
Sandra
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

Brooke Nicole wrote: Thank goodness for high resolution digital cameras! Without them, I wouldn't be able to show the texture on my reborns.

Brooke..what kind of camera do you use? :shock:
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Rosewood Jannie

Post by Rosewood Jannie »

I don't think Brooke is on here anymore..I miss seeing her babies and her photography.
Sandras Dreams

Post by Sandras Dreams »

Yes, I realize that Brooke isn't on here anymore, just hoping someone else has used the thinning medium instead of matte varnish and could help me out:)
Thank you
Sandra
noniesgirl - Gina

Post by noniesgirl - Gina »

If I have a shiny baby, I use the matte varnish but I thin it down with odorless thinner until it is like thin pudding, then I pounce it on every thinly and pounce it a lot a small amount goes a long way. A pea sized amount will cover an entire arm. Mine has a bit of a textured feel but it doesn't feel like sandpaper or rough at all. I like the bit of "feel" to it. The reason being, I have held a dead child and a very smooth, cold reborns bring back bad memories.
Sandras Dreams

Post by Sandras Dreams »

Gina, I'm so sorry that you've experienced holding a dead child. That's got to be so tough.
Thanks for the help!
Sandra
Rosewood Jannie

Post by Rosewood Jannie »

Sandras Dreams wrote:Yes, I realize that Brooke isn't on here anymore, just hoping someone else has used the thinning medium instead of matte varnish and could help me out:)
Thank you
Sandra
Sorry...I was responding to JaNan...who was asking BROOKE a question :oops:
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

and I thank you Jannie..I did not know Brooke so I did not know she was no longer here....
I would also like to know if anyone else has used the thinning medium like she recommended.
thanks for your input Gina..did not know about thinning the varnish like that!
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

If you use the matte varnish, and use thinner to dilute it , and put a small amt on and pounce it in real good with a makeup sponge you will get the dewy look and no shine........ and no rough feel either , all my reborns have soft skin
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

Pebby..do you use the air dry varnish? and the genesis thinning medium or the odorless liquid thinner?
Dolly Hugs JaNan
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

Rosewood Jannie wrote:I don't think Brooke is on here anymore..I miss seeing her babies and her photography.

Melissa...I asked the same question and the girls say she is no longer a member..
Dolly Hugs JaNan
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

I was rereading this post to get down the technique on using thinner for the texture look. and I noticed several saying they let their paint dry before baking. Are you girls using odorless thinner? I ask because I use genesis thinning medium and it does not really dry. I go right ahead and bake and no problems. the only time I have had trouble with chalkiness is when I don't bake hot enough or long enough. the only time I have shine is when I bake too long or too hot. I use an oven thermometer and bake a 265° F for 8-9 min. (the Mr Clean magic eraser used dry is great if you do get a bit of shine..or need to gently buff off just a bit of blush etc)
Dolly Hugs JaNan
debi reborn classics

Post by debi reborn classics »

I'm bumping this up. I know this is a very old post...but thought it still had a lot of good info that can be usefull.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for the bump up....It is great info. that many can use.... :D
jessica jasmine

Post by jessica jasmine »

I learned a lot by reading this. Thanks for these posts.
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

JaNan wrote:Pebby..do you use the air dry varnish? and the genesis thinning medium or the odorless liquid thinner?

JaNan, I just now saw this, sorry my reply is late, I just use the GHSP matte varnish and odorless thinner and pounce it in really well and my babies are not rough at all, I do not like that and I do not think my customers would like it either.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Pebby wrote:
JaNan wrote:Pebby..do you use the air dry varnish? and the genesis thinning medium or the odorless liquid thinner?

JaNan, I just now saw this, sorry my reply is late, I just use the GHSP matte varnish and odorless thinner and pounce it in really well and my babies are not rough at all, I do not like that and I do not think my customers would like it either.
I agree~when matte varnish is thinned down and pounced on well enough it isn't rough to the touch :D
debi reborn classics

Post by debi reborn classics »

I agree~when matte varnish is thinned down and pounced on well enough it isn't rough to the touch
So true!