Acrylic Paints?

This would be the place to ask questions or share information concerning all types of doll making, re-doing, etc.
DaphneJo

Acrylic Paints?

Post by DaphneJo »

Hi,
I've been reading up on painting methods and I have a few questions.
I have ordered some Genesis paints but I am still wondering about acrylics. It seems like no one uses those anymore?
At least not if you want to offer your baby on ebay or for sale? Is this true? Do the colors fade or rub off or what?
I was also wondering if textile medium could be added? I know that I used to paint clothing and fabric with textile medium mixed into the paints. My sister has one of the sweatshirts I painted about 12 years ago and she wears it all the time and washes it a lot and the colors are just as bright as ever. The paint was heat set with an iron on low setting. So, I'm wondering if I added the textile medium and then heat set the baby in the oven..do you think that might work?
Brendas Babies

Re: Acrylic Paints?

Post by Brendas Babies »

Daphne, I would think the textile medium would only work for painting on cloth.
Sweet Quinny by Nikki!
MandyJ

Post by MandyJ »

Hi there DaphneJo,
I have done one or two reborns with acrylics and I made a mistake once.
I had to literally scrub it with Jif to get off the paint so if thats an answer......?

hope this helps,
Mandy :D
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

Oooooh jif...havn't tried that one yet.

JUST be careful with the RED. It absorbs into the kit and is a nightmare to get out if you go wrong.

By sig baby is painted in acrylics...but I started her before I got genesis paints so guess I will have to finish her in acrylics :?

I do not know about the fading over time thing , but people used to use acrylics before genesis and heat it afterwards to make the paint permanent , but I have not tried this yet.
MandyJ

Post by MandyJ »

Hey both,
sorry, it was Vim.

I always get those two mixed up for some reason :lol:

I made a mistake on the eyes and I had to carefully scrub with cotton buds and would it come off,

No way!

I scrubbed harder and harder until it faded to an acceptable shade I could cover up :wink:

Hugs, Mandy :D
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

I reborn with acrylics and haven't had many issues about the paint so far (4 years)... you need to let the paint "set" into the vinyl for a while, that's why I recommend to be extra careful with your baby in the first month, then the paint soaks into the vinyl and becomes part of it. Besides that I root my babies AFTER painting and haven't had rub off problems, ever. Some colors can actually fade a little, expecially if you buy cheap paints. high quality pigments are key!
I think there are several different "fads" in the reborning world... first it was oils, then acrylics, then now it's genesis, but I think if a reborner is honest and knows the medium she uses well (e.g. I studied 5 years in Art College about acrylics) the quality of the reborn doll shouldn't be affected.
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

MandyJ wrote:Hey both,
sorry, it was Vim.

You scrubbed her with vim??? LOL.

I must confess, my MLY kit got the tootpaste treatment , and it did not work. I felt like this :banghead:
Tried all sorts too - even baby powder. Worked great as a temporary cover up!!! :lol:

She was sat under a daylight bulb for a couple of days :lol:
Didn't do the trick either.
MandyJ

Post by MandyJ »

Hey Sam :lol:

I started off with the gentle stuff, mild soap and a cotton bud,
fairy liquid and a cotton bud
working my way up to vim (and a cotton bud) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't like, get a scourer on her or anything :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Elisabetta totally. I have repainted a few tonner girls in my time and I agree about using good quality acrylics.
I'm not an expert at reborning by any means but I do know my paints and the vinyl does 'soak' up the colour after a time.

I like Windsor & Newton products, bit expensive but they are quality.

Hugs, Mandy
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

I used the daler-rowney....do you think they are quality? They are expensive to me :lol:

P.S. I never mentioned the bath I gave her in green and flesh coloured water...the endless scrubbing , and then gensis paints LOL.

Poor thing has been through a lot :lol:

I have before and after pics if you wanna see, but they might scare you!!!!! :lol:
MandyJ

Post by MandyJ »

Hey Sam,

Would love to see your pictures,
that would be cool :D

Off for a cup of tea and some crumpet :wink:

The edible kind :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

Oh so English!!!!!!!!

I have my cuppa here :lol:
Just need to get another :lol:

Sure , here's the pics , but i'm warning you!!!

OK ladies , this is why you need to be extra careful with acrylics!!!!
(Well suppose SOMEONE has to screw it up so others know what NOT to do! :lol: )

Red problem , has soaked into vinyl, incredibly hard to get off.
Picture 1 & 2 shows my kit as if she's been punched in the face a few times - I'm not a reborn baby beater - honest!! LMAO!!!

Picture 3 shows the Orangeness caused by the paints AFTER removing them :

After many attempts to fix , this is her current colour :
Pictures here show the results of paint washes in the sink (Oh she loved it!!) , sitting under daylight lamp for hours on end , toothpaste , scrubbing (with a cloth) , and baby powder.Then I decided to buy Genesis paints and this is probabaly why she is the colour she is now.

She's still not how I want her , so she'll be off to ebay to see if someone else can give her a go :lol:
MandyJ

Post by MandyJ »

Sam,
she's lovely !!!!

Oh, you've got to finish her.
I think you've fixed her fantastically and when her hair and lashes are on etc, she'll really look the part.

:thumb:

I say, go for it :)
DaphneJo

Post by DaphneJo »

Oh! She's so cute! What sculpt is that? (sorry, I'm very new to this and don't know my babies yet)
I think you should finish her too! But if you don't, do you want to sell her? She's just so cute!!
I think she looks good now and kudos to you for your perserverence (sp?) Where there's a will, there's a way :D :yippee:
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

Thanks!

Um, she is the Mummy Loves you kit by Tina Kewy which is sold out.

Yes , I'm still selling her, I still am not happy with it.

x
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Acrylic paints are used on vinyl dolls they've used them in their production for a very long time. They use them to restore vinyl dolls. Haven't had any problems with the red when reborning myself. Some of the ladies from Simply Reborn have been using and don't use anything but the acrylic gouache.

Vinyl chemists don't recommend using oil paints when painting vinyl dolls they recommend acrylics. Vinyl chemist also do not and I mean do not recommend using acetone ever. Also what effects any paint on vinyl is what has been used in the molding process. That will absolutely effect the outcome of the paint on the vinyl.

No offense, but this is always such a great debate. Use what works best for you. Less is more with acrylic gouache.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
DaphneJo

Post by DaphneJo »

T
georgeanne wrote:Acrylic paints are used on vinyl dolls they've used them in their production for a very long time. They use them to restore vinyl dolls.
I was wondering about that! Thanks for the info!
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Hi Daphne,

I've done alot of research because when I first started to reborn, not that I'm an expert by any means, it was so confusing and there were so many experts I decided to contact the actual experts and find out for myself what was the real scoop. Believe it or not, Special Effects Artists use acrylic paints on silicone heads, arms, legs whole bodies. I figured that the vinyl chemists know more about vinyl than anybody so I am following what they've told me.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

thanks Georgeanne!!! loved the explanation too.
Just a question, if the experts don't recommend acetone, what do they use to remove factory paint? I'd love an alternative, expecially if less smelly..... :wink:
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

The best product to remove paint without damage is Winsor and Newton Brush cleaner. It leaves a bit of an oily residue so wash the pieces in hot soapy water afterwards.

I painted babies for over a year using Jo Sonjas acrylic gouache paints. I never had a baby to fade and have one lady I did custom twins for who regularly says her babies still look the same almost 2 years later. However, I do know some have had some issues with fading but after much research I think it has to do with using too much water to thin the paints because it causes the binders in them to break down. Also mixing the paints with water and storing them rather than mixing colors fresh for each baby can lead to the binders in the paints breaking down as well.

I have written a lot about it all on my website: http://www.freewebs.com/anjsmiles/paintingmethods.htm